DIY Trunk Brace in a Civic Hatch Coupe or Sedan

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2012
^Warranty voider

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Running Riot is a glorious beacon of lightRunning Riot is a glorious beacon of lightRunning Riot is a glorious beacon of lightRunning Riot is a glorious beacon of lightRunning Riot is a glorious beacon of light
DIY Trunk Brace in a Civic Hatch Coupe or Sedan

This was on a 6th gen you may get it to work on other generation I don't know.

So I got fed up with seeing crap written DIYs for this and decided to make my own. All I am going to say is my rear end seems a lot more planted on the ground now, I feel it move with the car as one piece instead of feeling the rear end move sluggishly after the front. People have said it's a useless mod, and if that were true, Honda would not have put a brace in the trunk of the Civic and Integra Type Rs. So suck it. Here is my DIY

Tools and materials you will need:
1 drill at least 12v
1 1/8" bit
1 1/2" bit
1 aluminum tube from Home Depot. Lowe's does not have long enough tubes I had to get mine from Home Depot. Has to be at least 40" long.
2 M12x1.25x70mm Bolts. You can go longer but you can't go shorter.
4 1/2" ID washers
2 1/2"IDx1/2"H bronze brass spacers. If you can find them in aluminum even better you can have them welded to the bar later and have it even more solid.
1 17mm Socket
1 19mm socket
1 Saw or dremel with cutting bits
1 tape measure

You'll have to forgive the lighting on some of the pictures I'm kind of working through a hurricane.

Start by removing the two rear bumper reinforcement bolts in your trunk. There are two on the left side, two on the right. In the hatchback only one on each side is visible. I took the bolts closest to the front out.

If your bar is wider than 40" you may have a problem putting it in you trunk. Cut it down to 40" this will give you enough room on each side for the bolts and will be short enough to fit in the trunk. Mark where the bolts are in reference to your bar. Using a tape measure or a ruler or something, center the holes.

You want to use a smaller drill bit for a pilot hole. I used a 1/8" bit to get me started.

then follow up with a 1/2" bit

Try and center your holes as much as possible, I didn't obviously. I wallered it out so I could move the bar around a bit.

You want to assemble it like so.

Then just put everything together and you are on your way. If you still have your rear board, put that down first before you put the bar in or you are going to have a hell of a time putting it together.

Enjoy!
The following users liked this post:
spectre208 (05-21-2020)
Old 05-21-2020
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
spectre208 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: DIY Trunk Brace in a Civic Hatch Coupe or Sedan

Hey nice post, I can't find the link or pics
Old 05-21-2020
Click Here

Received 1,153 Likes on 900 Posts
FRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by spectre208
Hey nice post, I can't find the link or pics
This thread hasn't been touched in 8 years. The link/pics have probably been corrupted for a while.
Old 05-21-2020
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,146 Likes on 801 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

my guess is lost in server/host changes.