d16y7 head bolt torque specs and order

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gfenderbender is an unknown quantity at this point
d16y7 head bolt torque specs and order

Can anyone provide me with the torque specs and tightening order for the head bolts on my stock d16y7 vtec? Ive typed in everything I can think of in the thread search bar. Im hoping that the bolts just need torqued back down. Key word "hoping." I have a feeling I am going to have to change the head gasket and have the head shaved down. Its seeping oil out of the corner closest to the distributor in the front. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-01-2018
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: d16y7 head bolt torque specs and order

https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-...d16y7-2512273/
Old 12-04-2018
Registered!!

Thank you. hopefully I can tighten those head bolts down without screwing them up. I know theyre torque to spec and cant be reused.
Old 12-04-2018
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,126 Likes on 941 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

no they're reusable on Hondas, at least the oem ones are...

are you sure it's not the distributor o ring leaking?
Old 12-07-2018
Registered!!

yea. Its way too much to be the distributor o ring and its down where the head seats against the block. It needs a head gasket pretty bad. Im currently running it without a thermostat (i know, there are reasons not to.) its the only way to ensure it runs without over heating. the guy i bought it off of for $600 said he just had a new head gasket put on. I knew better than that. but it worked well for well over a year before it started having over heating issues. I changed the radiator and found that it was about a good 4-5 lbs heavier than it should have been ( due to the barsleak he stuck in it.) but i figured the vtec still worked ( testing that is probably where the oil started seeping,) so ill fix it, do a 5 speed swap, and later on when i have a secondary vehicle ill slap a y8 head on it.
Old 12-07-2018
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,126 Likes on 941 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

vtec solenoid? they cause a big mess.

hopefully the stop leak isn't clogging up the engine
Old 12-08-2018
Registered!!

its a possibility on the stop leak. mainly its sucking coolant into cylinders 3 and 4 and causing a misfire. If i put a thermostat in it, it will start cold but after you drive for even 5 minutes and shut it off it refuses to start. i thought it was an issue with the ignition coil. I have a non vtec parts motor that I swapped the coil out of and it made no difference. then one day it refused to start after sitting over night. cranked til the battery died. turns out it was just slightly out of time. Not enough to really notice after I turned the crank pulley and all to tdc. but the belt was loose. after tightening it up I havent had an issue with it starting so long as the thermostat is out. so Im ordering a head gasket kit tomorrow and then when i get paid again ill order the timing belt kit. switch out the water pump and all. Hoses are clear. IACV is clear. but the stop leak could be clogging the water pump up slightly. Idk. im no mechanic. had a 91 accord before and it was a great little car til it died. Saw how cheap parts were for the civic and snatched the one i have up. its been an uphill battle though. replaced the gas tank. gave it a full tune up (plugs, wires, cap, rotor, etc.) and ran a bit of seafoam through it which cleared up the lag that i was having. im hoping the head gasket will be the final issue i face with it for awhile. the vtec still works btw. no leaks around it. just that front section of the motor.