DIY: Timing belt 96-00

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: DIY: Timing belt 96-00

Originally Posted by wytas
I cracked the crankshaft pulley bolt and it turned a little past TDC, should i resnug the bolt and turn it to TDC with the timing belt on or is it fine to leave and make sure that I don't touch the cam or crankshafts till the new timing belt is on
As long as the timing belt has not been removed yet and the tensioner pulley is still tight, you can rotate the crank pulley to wherever you need it to be.
You can use the bolt, or you can turn it with the big hex, or grab it with your hands if you have enough strength.

Dumb question, but clockwise?
On a 7th gen 1.7L D17 type engine you should always rotate the crank CCW due to the floating tensioner.
On other engines I have no issue with rotating the crank either direction as long as the tensioner is not loose

Old 10-07-2018
Wytas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wytas is an unknown quantity at this point

alright i am at step 15, i put the sensor, lower cover and pulley on. When i set the crankshaft to TDC on the lower cover the camshaft is at TDC, but when i rotate the crankshaft one revolution (back to TDC) the camshaft is not at TDC, the “UP” is at 6 oclock, so every other revolution on the crankshaft to TDC sets the camshaft to TDC, hope this makes sense, is this correct?
Old 10-08-2018
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DaBrother is an unknown quantity at this point

My two cents worth...
consider the diameter of the camshaft pulley versus the diameter of the crankshaft pulley.

Last edited by DaBrother; 10-08-2018 at 03:32 AM. Reason: repeated words
Old 10-08-2018

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

alright i am at step 15, i put the sensor, lower cover and pulley on. When i set the crankshaft to TDC on the lower cover the camshaft is at TDC, but when i rotate the crankshaft one revolution (back to TDC) the camshaft is not at TDC, the “UP” is at 6 oclock, so every other revolution on the crankshaft to TDC sets the camshaft to TDC, hope this makes sense, is this correct?
Does step 15 actually tell you to rotate the crankshaft only one revolution? Does someone need to edit/correct the post?
Old 10-08-2018
Wytas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wytas is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ezone
Does step 15 actually tell you to rotate the crankshaft only one revolution? Does someone need to edit/correct the post?
No, it says to rotate the crank 5-6 times to check if its all good, but what im saying is, are they suppose to spin at the same rate, 1 full crank rev to 1 full cam rev? or is it 1 full crank rev to 1/2 cam rev? because they aren’t the same diameter as mentioned in the post above, it would make sense they don’t spin at the same rate
Old 10-08-2018

are they suppose to spin at the same rate, 1 full crank rev to 1 full cam rev? or is it 1 full crank rev to 1/2 cam rev? because they aren’t the same diameter as mentioned in the post above, it would make sense they don’t spin at the same rate
The cam gear is twice the size of the crank gear. They cannot spin at the same rate.

Crank-cam ratio is always 2:1

Last edited by ezone; 10-08-2018 at 05:01 PM.