DIY: Timing belt 96-00

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nateo is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: DIY: Timing belt 96-00

Originally Posted by Cleft_Asunder
11. Don't worry if you're past TDC, we will take care of that later. What you DON'T want to do is to move the camshaft gear or crankshaft gear when the timing belt is OFF. So make damned sure you don't rotate them accidentally.
So if/when I mess this up and rotate the cam or crank independently, what is the procedure for re-syncing them?
Old 10-30-2014
Registered!!

Liabilities is an unknown quantity at this point

Definitely on the to do list, once next summer comes up, got minor head gasket leak =(
Old 11-16-2016
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DaBrother is an unknown quantity at this point

Noticed you did not buy a timing belt kit?
Purchased parts separately?
A kit from Amazon with Aisin parts is $196.
Old 11-16-2016
BLDNPSI Mod
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

tfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond repute

Wake the dead on a 2 year old thread!
Old 02-27-2017
Registered!!

Ilovemy97HX is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Civic fans. I have a 97 HX coupe that lost 10 mpgs after a timing belt change.
The mechanic insists he did everything right.
I don't understand how I could go from mid to upper 40's to 35, 38 highway.
Is there a trick to the D16Y5 engine tbelt/water pump replacement?
Thanks for any help. I want my mpgs back!
Old 02-28-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ilovemy97HX
Hi Civic fans. I have a 97 HX coupe that lost 10 mpgs after a timing belt change.
The mechanic insists he did everything right.
I don't understand how I could go from mid to upper 40's to 35, 38 highway.
Is there a trick to the D16Y5 engine tbelt/water pump replacement?
Thanks for any help. I want my mpgs back!
No tricks, just gotta be accurate.

A recheck of the work would seem to be in order.

If you can check ignition timing easily, it may be 10-20 degrees out of spec if the timing belt is mis-installed by just one tooth. Otherwise it may be quicker to pull the upper timing cover to verify alignment of the marks on the cam gear and balancer.

If the timing belt is verified installed correctly, then look for other causes of the economy drop.
Old 02-28-2017
Registered!!

Thanks for the verry quick reply!
I am meeting with him tomorrow to convince him to go back in with this thread to make sure he works to spec.
This happened with my 92 VX too.
Old 03-01-2017
Registered!!

Thanks for the verry quick reply!
I am meeting with him tomorrow to convince him to go back in with this thread to make sure he works to spec.
This happened with my 92 VX too.
Update. My (former) mechanic is balking at re-checking his work at no charge.
I was hoping we would agree that having major maintenance done yielding worse performance being his responsibility.
His concern is 1, that he couldn't make a mistake 2, that t-belt replacement wouldn't affect mpgs. 3, that torque to spec every nut, bolt and belt isn't critical. And 4, he can't wrap his head around the efficiencies of the HX and VX even though I have proof of before and after performance.
He wants to be paid if nothing is wrong.
SO. I will obviously have to observe everything he does.
Question: should I "focus" on? just follow this procedure and make sure every single thing is to those specs? A Honda dealership tech said he'd over tightened the belt on my VX. They said they adjusted it, but as they didn't open it all the way it probably should be re-checked too.
I have a trusted, detail oriented, open-minded mechanic friend who will give the HX a thorough re-check for $200.

Last edited by Ilovemy97HX; 03-01-2017 at 02:39 PM. Reason: Oops
Old 03-01-2017

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

At the moment all you really need to do is confirm the mechanical timing (timing belt) is correct (or incorrect).

Do you own an ignition timing light or have one available?

Do you own enough tools to pull the valve cover and upper timing cover?

Do you have a service manual so you can do either of these yourself?
Old 03-01-2017
Registered!!

Yes to all three.
My mechanic friend adjusted the timing with the timing light and few tweaks at the distributor.
Old 03-01-2017

How much did the distributor have to be corrected?
Was the SCS jumpered before checking timing? (if not, this can cause erroneous setting)

Biggest problem I have with this is the distributor should never ever need adjusted (unless it gets removed or replaced). The dist has 3 hold down bolts so one would have to make 3 mistakes before they can adjust it.
If timing is "off" a lot, then the mechanical timing should have been checked first.

I'd say go ahead and Lift or remove valve cover, remove upper timing cover, check cam-crank timing.
Old 03-01-2017
Registered!!

I was told double checking for a tooth off or improper tension or torque would require basically dissembling everything as if replacing it.
Old 03-01-2017

I was told double checking for a tooth off or improper tension or torque would require basically dissembling everything as if replacing it.
You were told that by someone who doesn't think he is ever wrong (ego is quite large and fragile, fault will never be admitted) and wants you to pay more.

In the shop I can have belt timing confirmed in.....probably 10 minutes or less.
Another few minutes to reassemble if it's OK.
A lot more time if it needs redone.

Tension set on the timing belt is part of the installation job.....not sure how one can----wait, nevermind.
It can be reset if needed.

Torque isn't the concern at the moment, but to go back and put a torque wrench on everything is gonna be time consuming, literally doing the whole job over again.
Old 03-03-2017
Registered!!

Alrighty then. Thanks for your wry candor and good advice.
As far as the distributor being adjusted a little, he made very small adjustments, frequently re-checking with the light. He didn't unbolt it. I hope I'm describing it correctly.
This is my friend mechanic. Smart. Very detail oriented.
We'll open it up and look for the cam marks and tension adjustment as shown in the diy, correct?
Old 03-03-2017

So how far off was the timing?

Is the distributor now adjusted (moved) to the end of its adjustment slots, or somewhere in the middle?

As I said before, if the timing belt was incorrect by a single tooth, the ignition timing would be be out of spec by probably 10 degrees or greater.

If the timing was within a couple degrees of spec (and the SCS was jumpered as per the ignition timing inspection procedure) then the timing belt should be on target,
but that can't tell you anything about the tension on the belt.
Old 03-03-2017
Registered!!

I will check in with him to see what "pretty far" means to him.
Thanks!
Old 03-29-2017
Registered!!

The ignition timing isn't set yet.
As far as the belt inspection, he said someone had marked the crank pully on the wrong mark.
He will set the distribtor with the timing light in the next couple of days.
I sure hope this accounts for my mpgs....
My rpms at 60 mph are 2500. The engine feels like it doesn't relax on the highway.

Last edited by Ilovemy97HX; 03-29-2017 at 04:54 PM. Reason: Wrkng word
Old 03-29-2017

he said someone had marked the crank pully on the wrong mark.
You mean the marks on the harmonic balancer pulley?
There are probably multiple marks (notches) on the pulley. One is the TDC mark, and 3 more are ignition timing marks. 2 of the 4 are usually painted.

He will set the distribtor with the timing light in the next couple of days.
Make SURE he knows about having to install a jumper wire in the SCS connector before trying to check ignition timing. If this isn't done, the timing will be set wrong.

My rpms at 60 mph are 2500.
RPM vs. speed is strictly a mechanical function of gear ratios. This will not change.
Old 03-29-2017
Registered!!

This is the photo he sent.[img]webkit-fake-url://7fb911cb-503e-4015-812a-0e796a56809e/imagejpeg[/img]
Old 03-29-2017

[img]webkit-fake-url://7fb911cb-503e-4015-812a-0e796a56809e/imagejpeg[/img]
No image here. Invalid URL
Old 03-29-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
You mean the marks on the harmonic balancer pulley?
There are probably multiple marks (notches) on the pulley. One is the TDC mark, and 3 more are ignition timing marks. 2 of the 4 are usually painted.

Make SURE he knows about having to install a jumper wire in the SCS connector before trying to check ignition timing. If this isn't done, the timing will be set wrong.

I will. That sounds like an reset prodedure I have saved. I also found what look like shop manual specs for timing, both require jumping. Great.

RPM vs. speed is strictly a mechanical function of gear ratios. This will not change.
ooops :/
Old 03-29-2017

Specs for idle/timing/valve clearance may be on the emissions label on the hood or in the engine compartment.
Old 03-29-2017
Registered!!

[QUOTE=ezone;4721806]No image here
To my chagrine. I just copied and pasted from a text. I need to learn to post photos.
Old 03-29-2017

Name:  Timing_Belt_23.jpg
Views: 19204
Size:  104.3 KB

Red mark should be your 12* (or 16*) BTDC timing mark.
Old 03-29-2017
Registered!!

Specs for idle/timing/valve clearance may be on the emissions label on the hood or in the engine compartment.
good point

Red mark should be your 12* (or 16*) BTDC timing mark.
Old 03-29-2017
Registered!!

Thanks for the image. I am looking at page 6-17 of the shop manual and I think my picture is of the timing belt drive pulley.
Old 03-29-2017

The cam pulley (top image), the slashes aligning with the surface of the cylinder head is the important part. The word UP is only there as a guide. (timing for cylinder #1 as opposed to cylinder #4 if the word were facing down)

On the crank pulley, the TDC mark is the exact same position as the TDC mark on the timing gear for the belt. TDC is TDC is TDC. If one only wants to confirm the belt timing is correct, lower pulley and cover removal is unnecessary. Simply align the TDC mark on the lower pulley with the pointer on the cover, then verify the cam gear slash marks align with the head surface. (the word UP must be somewhere near the top of course)

EDIT: Note those were random google images, not necessarliy exact for your particular engine
Old 03-30-2017
Registered!!

The cam pulley (top image), the slashes aligning with the surface of the cylinder head is the important part. The word UP is only there as a guide. (timing for cylinder #1 as opposed to cylinder #4 if the word were facing down)

On the crank pulley, the TDC mark is the exact same position as the TDC mark on the timing gear for the belt. TDC is TDC is TDC. If one only wants to confirm the belt timing is correct, lower pulley and cover removal is unnecessary. Simply align the TDC mark on the lower pulley with the pointer on the cover, then verify the cam gear slash marks align with the head surface. (the word UP must be somewhere near the top of course)

EDIT: Note those were random google images, not necessarliy exact for your particular engine
Understood.
I'll have him walk me through it.
Does the CKF sensor come into play? I just happen to see it in the picture.
I also have two VX's to discuss. Same issue on my 92. New belt by my friend on the 95. Should I start another thread?
Old 03-30-2017

Does the CKF sensor come into play? I just happen to see it in the picture.
CKF sensor is used for misfire detection, the engine should run without it connected but will set a fault code.

I also have two VX's to discuss. Same issue on my 92. New belt by my friend on the 95. Should I start another thread?
IDK.

If it's the same issues caused by the same former mechanic who couldn't possibly make any mistakes, then fire away.

Simply align the TDC mark on the lower pulley
Just had a thought....if there is any question as to the accuracy of the TDC mark on the pulley, one can pull #1 spark plug and use a long thin screwdriver to "feel" that the piston is at the very top of its travel. (watch for it to peak as the crank is rocked just fore and aft of the TDC notch)

I sometimes use this method to figure out when the other pistons are at their tdc, since #2 and 3 have no corresponding timing marks.
Old 09-27-2018
Wytas

wytas is an unknown quantity at this point

11. Don't worry if you're past TDC, we will take care of that later. What you DON'T want to do is to move the camshaft gear or crankshaft gear when the timing belt is OFF. So make damned sure you don't rotate them accidentally.
I cracked the crankshaft pulley bolt and it turned a little past TDC, should i resnug the bolt and turn it to TDC with the timing belt on or is it fine to leave and make sure that I don't touch the cam or crankshafts till the new timing belt is on

15. Before you Install CKF sensor and lower cover, check to make sure the upper mount bracket isn't loose. Tighten it and add locktit to bolts if it is.
Do you mean upper motor mount bracket?

Rotate camshaft pulley 5-6 turns, slowly, to make sure you did it properly. If it's okay, rotate an additional 3 teeth or more.
Dumb question, but clockwise?

Quick Reply: DIY: Timing belt 96-00