DIY: RSX Radio Retrofit into 6th Gen EK Civic

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2012
^Warranty voider

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Running Riot is a glorious beacon of lightRunning Riot is a glorious beacon of lightRunning Riot is a glorious beacon of lightRunning Riot is a glorious beacon of lightRunning Riot is a glorious beacon of light
DIY: RSX Radio Retrofit into 6th Gen EK Civic

So I recently bought a Mercedes C280 as a drive around town car and have kept the Civic as my work car. I had a Kenwood BT952HD radio in my Civic.

its pretty nifty stuff except I can't use the Bluetooth function in my car since I can't hear **** all in my car, not even the sound of myself going insane. So I moved the Kenwood to the Mercedes thats nice and quiet so I can use the Bluetooth and all that shnishnaw. So that left me with no radio in the Civic. At first, I didn't think it was a big deal..... until I turned the car on and realized I will punt the first baby I see if I don't get a radio to cover up the creaking in my car.

I pretty much only listen to talk radio while I'm working, my system is in the Merc so I didn't see a point in purchasing a headunit for the Civic. That meant going to the blah factory radio. Again, for talk radio, not a big deal. I called up my parts guy and asked him what he had in the yard and he had a bunch of Civic radios with CD players. Groovy. I head down there and I'm scrumming through the yard and I find an RSX base radio. Single DIN, relatively good shape and then it struck me. The RSX has red/amber interior lighting, same as my Civic, why put a nasty Civic radio in with that god awful green and yellow lighting when I can have a blingy red light up RSX radio with much more expandability. Remember iPod interfaces were still relatively new back then. So this is what I did.
Obviously youll need one of these, I got mine for $35 much cheaper then an Si radio and better looking IMHO

Get one of these at Walmart or BestBuy

Find the stock harness for a 94-02 Accord Legend or Prelude (or an RSX one if you can find it cut) and use this diagram here

Match up the colors and slide it back into here

and voila, amber lit RSX radio in your Civic for dirt. Bang up job. I'm waiting till it gets dark to take some pictures.

Last edited by sdaidoji; 11-30-2013 at 12:42 PM. Reason: added DIY to title
Old 11-17-2012
^Warranty voider

Running Riot is a glorious beacon of lightRunning Riot is a glorious beacon of lightRunning Riot is a glorious beacon of lightRunning Riot is a glorious beacon of lightRunning Riot is a glorious beacon of light
Re: RSX Radio Retrofit into 6th Gen EK Civic

Old 11-17-2012
^Warranty voider

Re: RSX Radio Retrofit into 6th Gen EK Civic