DIY - AMP capacitors - actual DIY is the third post, from golnat

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
master cheif is an unknown quantity at this point
DIY - AMP capacitors - actual DIY is the third post, from golnat

So im new to having a system of my own but waz told its best to have à capacitor to get the best out of my amp now that i have one i need to know how to charge it so I can set everything up the right way the first time .. help plz

Last edited by sdaidoji; 05-04-2015 at 05:24 PM.
Old 03-22-2014
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
drhawkinz has a spectacular aura aboutdrhawkinz has a spectacular aura about
Re: capacitors ???

Originally Posted by master cheif
So im new to having a system of my own but waz told its best to have %u00E0 capacitor to get the best out of my amp now that i have one i need to know how to charge it so I can set everything up the right way the first time .. help plz

I believe they just get wired in-line with your power wire to the amp. So the power wire would go from battery to cap, then cap to amp, then amp to ground. Haven't had a system in a while but I'm pretty sure that's how it was in my Ranger when I had a system in it a few years ago.

What gauge wire do you have in place and what wattage is your amp? If you have less than 4AWG wire it may not make a difference without upping the wire size.
Old 03-23-2014
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Here is a pic:

It should have came with a resistor that you hook to the capacitor first in order to charge it slowly. Capacitors want to get charged as fast as possible, so to prevent them from doing that and causing a spark you control the rate at which they charge using a resistor.
Old 03-23-2014
Registered!!

Im using 4gauge wire and my amp i believe is 1250 watts and should i have it fused inbetween the cap and the amp
Old 03-23-2014
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

4 gauge is good.

You only need a fuse between the battery and the capacitor.
Old 03-23-2014
Registered!!

Ok Thanks i'll hook it all up and give it a try nd let tu know how it goes Thanks again for the help