Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2017
Oli
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oli is an unknown quantity at this point
H1 Projector Retrofit

Hey Guys,

I bought a set of headlights on ebay and they're meant for H1 bulbs, I've done a lot of searching online but I can't find a proper guide or instructions.
How do I go about wiring in a H1 bulb to use with the projectors?

I did try splicing in a H1 bulb holder to the lo-beam wire and ground but the bulb wouldn't light up.

The headlight itself has an mechanism inside that flips up for High beam.

Thanks!
Old 05-25-2017
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,146 Likes on 801 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: H1 Projector Retrofit

it should've come with an H4 to dual H1 harness.

Just so we're on the same page.. It's a single H1 bulb for both low/high beam?
Old 05-25-2017
Oli
Registered!!

Ah na I didn't get one of those and yeah it is.

Any idea where I can get of of those harnesses?
Old 05-25-2017
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,146 Likes on 801 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

And it's not meant for HIDs? That projector acts a lot like the morimoto mini h1 HID projectors that theretrofitsource.com sells.

In any case, a straight up adapter won't work. You'd need to create a circuit or run a relay harness that allows the bulb to stay illuminated when activation of the high beam drops the shield. If the 6thgen headlight acts anything like the 01-03 headlight, it's ground switching, and opens the low beam circuit and closes the high beam circuit when you pull the lever. Just in case you don't know what that means (and I do this for everyone, so please don't take this as demeaning), activation of the high beam circuit will drop the shield, but the light bulb will not be illuminated. This can be alleviated by installing a diode between the two ground lines (as seen in the diagram below, bottom of the picture, just above the male H4 harness section. Looks like a triangle with a line on the point).

The orientation of that diode is quite important, as it only allows unidirectional flow of current. The issue with that route, in me experience, is that you will suffer a momentary loss of light as it's activating the high beam circuit. In case you're curious, that wiring diagram I made (a loooong time ago) is for wiring up bi-xenon HIDs with a DIY relay harness, where the projector acts exactly as you've described yours to work. Really, to make it applicable to your situation, pretend the whole "ballast/bulb" part of the diagram is just a single H1 bulb.

However, to answer your question of where to buy them.. Amazon, ebay, etc. It'll be a DIY harness, though. My google-fu wasn't strong enough to find actual H4 to H1 harnesses, just the male H4 pigtail. H1 bulb "sockets" are only female spade connectors, and you can find those at any auto parts store (e.g. Autozone, O'Reilly, Pep Boys, etc).
Old 05-25-2017
Oli
Registered!!

Oh wow thanks for that write up man, that's really great!

Looks like it'll be quite a bit of wiring up

Cheers though man, I appreciate that!