Engine Performance Modifications Post information/questions about Forced Induction, Nitrous, Engine Building and Swaps here.

Honda Civic Turbo high idle and running rich

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
H0ndaTurbo is an unknown quantity at this point
Honda Civic Turbo high idle and running rich

Hi guys, I've been having this problem and am running out of ideas. I rebuilt my 1996 honda lx engine and put an ebay turbo on it. It runs and drives fine, except it idles close to 2000 and it runs rich. I have tried adjusting the fuel maps and tuning, but am unable to lean it out. It's usually around 10-11afr. The idle is constant and doesn't idle hunt. I bought and installed a new iacv to no avail. The only vaccuum leaks I can find are slight leaks on the turbo housing and, weirdly, from the turbo oil return line where it connects to the oil pan.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I have been trying to get it to idle correctly for almost a year now and am trying this thread as a last resort.
Old 05-31-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Honda Civic Turbo high idle and running rich

Did this EVER idle correctly, like before you put the turbo on?

Stock ECM? Early ECM?
Got fault codes?

No surge between 2000-1200....why? Is throttle cable too tight, throttle stuck open?
TPS voltage should sit at 0.49v with throttle closed. If TPS V is much higher it may not go into idle mode. I think around 0.53 or 0.55v starts the off idle strategy in most stock ECMs.

Coolant full? IAC gets screaming hot with good coolant flow through it?
Does it use a FITV and does it get sceaming hot too?

Thermostat is good and gets coolant up to 180* or higher?

Stick your fingers over the open port(s) in the side of the throttle body, does the idle drop? Where does the passage lead, what item is controlling air flow through that port?

Open up the ECM and see if it's toasted the circuit board or had capacitors leak electrolyte out.

http://hackedecu.com/honda-ecu-capacitor-repair
Old 05-31-2016
Registered!!

H0ndaTurbo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ezone

Did this EVER idle correctly, like before you put the turbo on?

Stock ECM? Early ECM?
Got fault codes?

No surge between 2000-1200....why? Is throttle cable too tight, throttle stuck open?
TPS voltage should sit at 0.49v with throttle closed. If TPS V is much higher it may not go into idle mode. I think around 0.53 or 0.55v starts the off idle strategy in most stock ECMs.

Coolant full? IAC gets screaming hot with good coolant flow through it?
Does it use a FITV and does it get sceaming hot too?

Thermostat is good and gets coolant up to 180* or higher?

Stick your fingers over the open port(s) in the side of the throttle body, does the idle drop? Where does the passage lead, what item is controlling air flow through that port?

Open up the ECM and see if it's toasted the circuit board or had capacitors leak electrolyte out.

http://hackedecu.com/honda-ecu-capacitor-repair

Thanks for the reply,

It idled fine before the new engine. The ecu is a new chipped p28 that works fine. I haven't checked the tps voltage, but i know that the throttle cables not too short or that it's being held open.

On ignition it quickly rises to around 2k and idles there. I have not checked the temp of the iacv, however, if I unplug the iacv the idle will drop to around 1500.

The coolant is full and as far as I know the thermostat works fine. There are no codes being thrown.

I am wondering if the rich afr is related to the high idle?

Thanks.
Old 10-04-2017
Registered!!

Mattem1 is an unknown quantity at this point

For what it's worth, have you double checked your timing?