Engine Performance Modifications Post information/questions about Forced Induction, Nitrous, Engine Building and Swaps here.

Need help regarding a turbo

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jonathan Green is an unknown quantity at this point
Need help regarding a turbo

So I just bought a 2000 Honda Civic Coupe ex and I was wondering everything I would need to do before installing a turbo. Sorry if this seems kinda noobish but I'm kinda new to modifying cars. Would I need new pistons?
Old 02-25-2018
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,149 Likes on 803 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Need help regarding a turbo

Depends on your end goal. If you want high boost, hella power, etc, then yeah, lower compression pistons would be on your shopping list. Worry about fuel management and tuning first
Old 02-25-2018
Administrator
Administrator

xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

I guess I should expand a bit. I posted that between CoD matches. hahaha.

Gist of it is, you can have the best parts in the world, but with a crap tune and inadequate fuel being supplied for the extra air your engine is being fed, that extra fun will be very short lived.

For low-ish boost applications, you can get away with OEM pistons. I know for the D17 (01-05 civic), the engine could handle up to 8psi (some members here are running 10psi) on the stock block.

But like I alluded to in my first post here, find out what kind of power goals you want to achieve first. Do you just want some extra pep to your step, making like 200whp, or do you want to build a beast 500whp d-series? Is this gonna be a track car, or your daily driver? Lots of information available to you, you just have to figure out where you want to end up so you know where to start.
Old 02-26-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
I guess I should expand a bit. I posted that between CoD matches. hahaha.

Gist of it is, you can have the best parts in the world, but with a crap tune and inadequate fuel being supplied for the extra air your engine is being fed, that extra fun will be very short lived.

For low-ish boost applications, you can get away with OEM pistons. I know for the D17 (01-05 civic), the engine could handle up to 8psi (some members here are running 10psi) on the stock block.

But like I alluded to in my first post here, find out what kind of power goals you want to achieve first. Do you just want some extra pep to your step, making like 200whp, or do you want to build a beast 500whp d-series? Is this gonna be a track car, or your daily driver? Lots of information available to you, you just have to figure out where you want to end up so you know where to start.
Sorry if I was kinda vague, I'm trying to get around 350~ ish whp and I'm gonna be daily driving it.
Old 02-26-2018
Administrator
Administrator

And what kinda budget do you have for this project?
Old 02-26-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
And what kinda budget do you have for this project?
around 5k