Engine Performance Modifications Post information/questions about Forced Induction, Nitrous, Engine Building and Swaps here.

last 3 big concerns before start up (mini me)

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2kej6 is an unknown quantity at this point
last 3 big concerns before start up (mini me)

hello all,
about to complete y7 to y8 head swap on a 2000 lx sedan automatic(next swap). this was somewhat a budget build and also ive searched endlessly and cannot get a clear answer..so..

here is what i have as the setup for start up. a d16y7 block, new gasket with rebuilt y8 pj2 off another 2000/ y7 fuel rail with y8 injectors/ y8 IM off a 5 speed so bought a block off plate for rear IACV) y7 TB/ IACV, and a p2p ECU out of a 99 ex automatic..(knock sensor and Vtec solenoid scheduled for Tuesday delivery) what I cant get a clear answer on is:

1. y7 TB worked when i just had a y8 IM swap can it still work with the full head swap? Also have integra ls TB..
2. was told the Automatic p2p ECU would not work with a y7 transmission? I had to flash the p2?
3. Is it Ok to temporarily run y7 fuel rail with y8 injectors? I know y8s on a stock y7 would run rich..would this run too lean?
those are the 3 that make me think i just wasted time/money especially the p2p ecu..(i do know i have to wire knock/Vtec etc)can anyone verify or have any input? thanks..
Old 04-24-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: last 3 big concerns before start up (mini me)

Try a set of injectors......watch what fuel trims do.
Does it act lean or rich?

Wait, is this ECM OBD2 or not?
Old 04-24-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Try a set of injectors......watch what fuel trims do.
Does it act lean or rich?

Wait, is this ECM OBD2 or not?
I haven't started it yet. ECM is OBD2b out of same year EX auto
startup should be tomorrow evening...knock sensor is scheduled for tomorrow
Old 04-24-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

IDKsquat about the differences between parts in your swap.

A fuel rail just holds injectors and carries the fuel, so whatever fits IMO.

I'll go out on a limb and say use the injectors that will deliver more fuel if you switched up to a VTEC head.

Use the scanner to answer if they are fat enough.
You can watch the fuel trims on a scanner (assuming everything else is correct) and see if they are within 10% at closed loop idle and maintains within 10% as you rev it slowly and gradually up through 3000 RPM no load,, and see if O2 sensor 1/1 stays near 1v at wide open throttle all the way up to redline.
Old 04-25-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
IDKsquat about the differences between parts in your swap.

A fuel rail just holds injectors and carries the fuel, so whatever fits IMO.

I'll go out on a limb and say use the injectors that will deliver more fuel if you switched up to a VTEC head.

Use the scanner to answer if they are fat enough.
You can watch the fuel trims on a scanner (assuming everything else is correct) and see if they are within 10% at closed loop idle and maintains within 10% as you rev it slowly and gradually up through 3000 RPM no load,, and see if O2 sensor 1/1 stays near 1v at wide open throttle all the way up to redline.
Im glad I spent the extra $$ for the live data/ABS/OBD2 scanner now..
dont quote me but through googling etc i read that y7 and y8 injectors are the same size? (240?) could be wrong but it fit just fine. got my solenoid wired to the p2p along with oil pressure switch and tomorrow once the knock sensor arrives and is installed we'll be ready to start it up...haha be on the lookout for another thread most likely titled.. "I'm done with cars" as long as it starts i'll be happy, then ill worry about the tweaks and fine details etc...again..shoulda gone b20...195$ on ebay