Engine Performance Modifications Post information/questions about Forced Induction, Nitrous, Engine Building and Swaps here.

engine advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dannyboy21 is an unknown quantity at this point
engine advice

hi guys
can you help, I have a 6th gen civic si, the engine has only done 70,000 miles but it burns oil, I have had it investigated and its got worn rings.

my question is
do I go for a rebore with new pistons and rings or do I change the engine for a new lump if so what lump would you recommend as I plan to turbo the engine aswell.

many thanks
danny
Old 04-20-2017
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
Poopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of light
Re: engine advice

I guess it depends on how much money you have to burn and how much time you have on your hands. Also if you have space and an alternate vehicle.
Old 04-20-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: engine advice

Most of the time they drink oil because the oil control rings are stuck in their grooves..due to carbon buildup.
Contributing factors might include incorrect spec/low quality engine oil, and poor air filtration.

I'd inspect the cylinder bores first.....If they don't show obvious damage and do show all the crosshatch hone marks, then I'd slap a fresh set of rings on the original pistons and run it.
(FYI at the dealershop when we replace rings and/or pistons on various other engines under warranty we never touch cylinders when replacing rings, no honing at all. Install rings and run it. Many have 100-200k miles and more when they get rings.)

Rebore and new oversized pistons and rings is an expense that IMO just isn't sensible for a stocker or a beater, and you can buy used engines all day long for less than that cost.....but of course with a used engine you never know how it's been cared for and what problems it might have once it runs.

If you are really going to boost it, you may want to go with lower compression pistons, beefy connecting rods, and more? If you are going to go insane with boost, you may even want a spare (built) engine at the ready for when this one grenades.