Engine Performance Modifications Post information/questions about Forced Induction, Nitrous, Engine Building and Swaps here.

D16z6 build/swap

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FakeTypeR is an unknown quantity at this point
D16z6 build/swap

Alright guys so im planning the swap I wanna do in my ek hatch, it's got the d16y7 in it right now and was wondering if I could run the same ecu that I have in my car with the swap, I believe it's obd1. Is there any other stuff I'll have to add or replace to be compatible? Other than the vtec solenoid I'll need to add. I wanna do a boosted d16 cause they're really cheap and I've heard they can be pretty quick with some work. I plan on getting a full swap with the transmission and everything, stage 2 clutch as well. I was debating on building my current engine and do a vtec head and built internals but I've got 425k on my car so I'm not sure if it'll be a waste of time and money. Also this is a budget build and does anyone know of any cheap but good forged internals? I heard of a few brands that sell good forged parts but I forget the names
Old 09-03-2016
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Stock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: D16z6 build/swap

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_D_engine

d16y7 is obd2 as is y8.... d16z6 is obd1

statistically y8 and z6 are pretty close. y8 head on y7 engine pretty much equals y8.

budget turbo builds are usually low psi so make sure you have a good plan before you buy stuff you may not require like forged internals and stage 2 clutches especially. A stage 2 or 3 clutch maybe be good for the track but not daily driving.
Old 09-04-2016
Registered!!

Oops I guess I got the ecu's mixed up, and I'd like to build the engine strong so it's less likely to fail, in case I decide to increase the boost. I was thinking of starting around 8 psi and increase eventually when I want more power. I also heard that I could still daily drive a stage 2 clutch but anything stronger than that would be too much. Could you boost a stock d16y8 or z6 and have it be reliable with a tune?
Old 09-04-2016
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Stock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of light

Go watch everything Mighty Car Mods has done for the past 3 years and you'll be a turbo expert. Well not really but you'll have a really good idea what takes to build a turbo car. Super Gramps build, double unicorn build and especially the VW bug build because they do go through building with internal forged pistons and such. They also talk about clutches in there too.

Personally I'm not a fan of turbo charged Civics and if you did do that you really need to have time on a dyno to make it all work the way it should. You'll see that in MCM as well. I guess the best way to do it at the moment would be to buy a new fat or turbo charged Civic and modify it for greater performance... not cheap though lol.
Old 09-04-2016
Registered!!

I've watched a lot of their videos! They've got a lot of good info on there, I'll check out the supergramps one I haven't seen that one yet
Old 09-04-2016
Registered!!

I also plan on getting a proper tune for it as well to make everything run properly