Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

Lowering choices!??

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
atvrider4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Lowering choices!??

Alright guys, so im wanting to lower my trusty civ a bit. im not lookin to go crazy and slam it but im tryin to keep my options open. im lookin at less than 300 bucks, and i know that with suspension you get what you pay for, but im just driving to school and back so i dont need anything super special. so, im lookin at either s techs or skunk2 springs on my stock struts. now, i will probably buy oem replacement shocks for either of these springs, so the price will be around 300. my other thought was a decent set of struts and ebay coilovers. i was looking at truhart lowering struts and some ebay coilovers, which i will eventually upgrade to skunk2 springs or coils. which way would you guys recomend?
Old 11-17-2012
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: Lowering choices!??

Raise your budget then lower it. You really should buy springs and new struts, not OEM because they can't handle a drop. Either Tokico blues or Koni's. you can do springs on OEM struts but it will ride bouncy and the struts won't last long. Don't waste your money on eBay stuff. I would do either s techs or Eibach's
Old 11-19-2012
Registered!!

marek91 is an unknown quantity at this point

I lowered my civic with s-techs on KYB GR-2 struts (oem replacement) lowered for over 6 months nice drop and drives amazing no blown struts
Old 11-20-2012
Registered!!

KyleSJ6033 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have the ebay coilovers on my civic and the only thing I can say is if you want to lower it, well they definately lower it but at the cost of comfort. I will be upgrading to skunk2 soon but for a mere 50 dollars on ebay and some strut tools you cant beat it for the price. the thing rides like a race car now so I dont complain. I like the look of my car with the coilovers and love the adjustability but to each your own. A set of ebay coilovers isnt a bad choice. However they are like everyone said you get what you pay for. I got the look that I wanted at the cost of comfort. I will also add that when I put my coilovers on I put a set of upper adjustable control arms on the front to fix the lean of my tire at any ride height. I also added a set of adjustable rear cambers to fix them also. I wouldnt like the coilovers alone but since i know that im not wearing out my tires I say go for it. If you want pictures or anything let me know and I will gladly get you some pictures. I have full progressive pictures as I built my civic from junk back to on the street again. PM me if you want anything specific and i will take a picture of it.
Old 12-05-2012
Registered!!

thanks guys!! sorry it took me so long to reply ive been super busy! but kyle i have a question..when the ebay coils were set at the highest ride hight possible, did they still lower your car a bit? i really just wanna either get ebay coils and upgrade or maybe megan?? i just think the megans spring rate is rediculous.
Old 12-12-2012
Registered!!

KyleSJ6033 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by atvrider4
thanks guys!! sorry it took me so long to reply ive been super busy! but kyle i have a question..when the ebay coils were set at the highest ride hight possible, did they still lower your car a bit? i really just wanna either get ebay coils and upgrade or maybe megan?? i just think the megans spring rate is rediculous.
When i went from my stock height to the coilovers i didnt try the highest point. but from my experience I think they would lower your car about 1.5" at its highest. I would also think this would be less wear on your factory struts. However i will tell you that to make your car ride the same height the back shocks have to be cut. The factory struts on the front dont have this little thin lip where as the back ones have something like a spacer welded to it all I did was mark a circle around it and took my saws all and cut around it. Now the car sits exactly even. I will tell you that the coilovers if you order them make sure they come with the rubbers to lock the coilover cups down if they do not then I wouldnt buy them because you will not be happy with it. They will rattle without these rubbers behind it. I have been riding on my coilovers set at 45 on my adjustments and I dont have any leaky shocks nor do they ever bottom out. But now that i say this i will probably have one break today but I have had good luck out of this cheap kit so far.
Old 12-12-2012
Registered!!

ya i plan to get some new struts that can handle the drop. probably some more ebay specials. but ive read that the lotek golds arent that bad..