Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

ES bushings worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of light
ES bushings worth it?

Well, I've got a very loose inner LCA bushing but Honda doesn't sell individual LCA bushings for my year. I'm not sure why. I have the option of going with an ES kit from autozone but I'm worried it's going to make a really ruff ride. If that's the case, do you guys know where I can get OEM-style bushings?

Also, am I going to need a special tool to remove and install them?

Last edited by Cleft_Asunder; 04-06-2009 at 04:05 PM.
Old 04-06-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: ES bushings worth it?

front lca bushings do not have any effect on ride quality. that is based on springs/shocks. i have ES lca bushings and the cornering at high speeds is a huge improvement. the only "negative" i guess would be they squeak in the winter but only when going over bumps or dips in the road. in the summer, they are as quiet as oem rubber. i will never use rubber again, and prolly wont have to since these es bushings should outlast the car. the bushings need to be pressed on, i believe theres a diy somewhere around here but you need special tools.
Old 04-06-2009
Registered!!

Cleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by gearbox
front lca bushings do not have any effect on ride quality. that is based on springs/shocks. i have ES lca bushings and the cornering at high speeds is a huge improvement. the only "negative" i guess would be they squeak in the winter but only when going over bumps or dips in the road. in the summer, they are as quiet as oem rubber. i will never use rubber again, and prolly wont have to since these es bushings should outlast the car. the bushings need to be pressed on, i believe theres a diy somewhere around here but you need special tools.
I can't find just the LCA bushings. Where did you get yours? I don't know if I want to rebuild the whole front if I don't have to. All they sell is a front kit with LCA, upper control arm and then the rear LCA bushings. I wonder how difficult it is getting the old bushings out. I read that I might have to torch it or I may need a press. I can probably have a shop do it for me.

And what about the prothane ones. Do they use lube and prone to squeeking or is it just ES?

Old 04-06-2009
Registered!!

Oh yeah, and do you have black or red? I've read that black squeeks less for some reason...
Old 04-06-2009
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

idk, mine were black es bushing. it came with lube but it wears off quickly. my "kit" came with 4 bushings for the front of the car, two per side on the control arm. i just had sears install it for around $250.
Old 04-06-2009
Premium Member

i got mine from nipponpower, i think this is the kit.

http://www.nipponpower.com/product.phtml?p=321&mmk=392
Old 04-06-2009
Registered!!

Yeah, that's the equivelant of the 16.3114G kit for the 6th gen. G stands for graphite. I ordered a kit earlier today in the morning, but I chose red. I'm going to go back and re-order black. Thanks for the info.

So is it a big deal if the lube runs out?
Old 04-06-2009
Premium Member

well it only lasted a month in the winter snow, now it just makes creaking sounds. i know its the bushings so im used to it. but only when its cold and you go over big dips or bumps or up a steep driveway. most driving you will not notice anything. the lube is just to keep the noise down, otherwise the bushings do not need it to function properly.
Old 04-06-2009
Registered!!

Originally Posted by gearbox
well it only lasted a month in the winter snow, now it just makes creaking sounds. i know its the bushings so im used to it. but only when its cold and you go over big dips or bumps or up a steep driveway. most driving you will not notice anything. the lube is just to keep the noise down, otherwise the bushings do not need it to function properly.
I'm picky but that noise won't bother me. So did you notice a drastic difference? It's probably more noticeable with a manual though.
Old 04-06-2009
Premium Member

big difference, esp since the oems were torn to shreds at 60k miles. the car holds turns much better now when in some areas ive had to slow down with the old broken bushings. its a great upgrade and beats putting oem rubber back that will just tear again.
Old 04-07-2009
Premium Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang

I have these bushings too, black, dont hear any squeeking ever- they are nice upgrade that you can feel and nobody can see. If you live in a high theft neighborhood you dont have to worry about these being stolen kuz of the PITA they are to get them in/out, but thats the case with any bushings like this.

Last edited by TRIZ; 04-07-2009 at 12:26 AM.
Old 04-07-2009
Registered!!

lordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TRIZ
I have these bushings too, black, dont hear any squeeking ever- they are nice upgrade that you can feel and nobody can see. If you live in a high theft neighborhood you dont have to worry about these being stolen kuz of the PITA they are to get them in/out, but thats the case with any bushings like this.
If I ever find out where you live I'm going to come steal your bushings. Just because.
Old 04-07-2009
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

stealing wheels is one thing, but if people are stealing lca bushings in your area you live in a bad neighborhood
Old 04-07-2009
Registered!!

Cool, I'm looking forward to installing them. (that was a lie) I'm going ot have to use a press to press these in right? Also, do you guys know off hand if the spring/shock come out as one piece or will I need the spring holder tool? I need to remove them to get to the UCA wishbone to replace those bushings as well.
Old 04-07-2009
Premium Member

TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang

Originally Posted by 04 Honda Civic
stealing wheels is one thing, but if people are stealing lca bushings in your area you live in a bad neighborhood
Whoops, I forgot the reinforce I was joking, lol.. Testing... testing... can anyone sense humor without a line ending in "LOL"?

Originally Posted by Cleft_Asunder
Cool, I'm looking forward to installing them. (that was a lie) I'm going ot have to use a press to press these in right? Also, do you guys know off hand if the spring/shock come out as one piece or will I need the spring holder tool? I need to remove them to get to the UCA wishbone to replace those bushings as well.
Press- yes, you can make a home made one, or just take it to a shop to have them press them in for you- they might even do it for free. And yes, all 4 corners come off the chassis as one giant ugly looking "coilover". UCA wishbone.... you mean LCA wishbone?? Which bushings exactly?
Old 04-07-2009
Registered!!

lordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond repute

Whoops, I forgot the reinforce I was joking, lol.. Testing... testing... can anyone sense humor without a line ending in "LOL"?
I know you were joking. It'd be a good prank to pull on you now though.
Old 04-07-2009
Registered!!

Press- yes, you can make a home made one, or just take it to a shop to have them press them in for you- they might even do it for free. And yes, all 4 corners come off the chassis as one giant ugly looking "coilover". UCA wishbone.... you mean LCA wishbone?? Which bushings exactly?
Upper control arm bushings. 1 on each side of the top wish bone. I need to remove the spring/shock assembly to remove it.
Old 04-07-2009
Registered!!

I don't get it. After I remove the sleeve and rubber, I have to remove the outer metal bushing sphere right?

Update: Just looked at the ES instructions. The metal sleeve needs to be removed for the 6th gen, but not on the UCA.

Last edited by Cleft_Asunder; 04-08-2009 at 09:40 AM.
Old 04-08-2009
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

lol I know you were joking..just cuz "I" didnt end it in "lol" you think I was serious
Old 04-10-2009
Registered!!

Well I installed them. What a bitch that was. I was expecting the ES bushings to pop in place by hand, but only the LCA inner bushings did. The UCA bushings had to be pressed in and all I had was a vise so it was pain. In fact I had to sand some off the entry point because they looked like they would explode before they went into the sleeve. ES really needs to redesign those.

All in all they feel nice. The ride is a little bit rougher and lounder and the car is more stiff over bumps, but more solid with better handling. Shiftings is easier and I notice and increase in responsiveness.