I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Idle p505

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jaybec2015 is an unknown quantity at this point
Idle p505

Hello.

Sorry went looking through the forums and all over the internet. My daughter has a 2000 base Civic she just purchased. We haven't been able to get this thing to run right

1. We replaced the fuel pump and all fuel items and one of the fuel injectors.
2. The car still had trouble making it home while she was driving. So, I went in and purchased a new Idle control sensor after seeing that it was throwing that code.
3. Seemed liked that worked until she couldn't start it after it was warm. Once cooled down we were able to drive it home. It revs around 1500 rpm at park and once warm it started going up and down until you put it into drive or add a load.
4. I replaced off of eBay a whole new throttle assembly and put that in. It still revs at 1500 rpm at cold then once warm it goes up and down. Once you put it into drive it's fine and drives fine. It will still throw a P505 code though?

I need to help her get this on the road for her. I am not a car person. Everything I've done is off YouTube. I need crayon instructions sorry all. I am sure someone had written this already. She used her own money for this car and I want to help her!

Last edited by Jaybec2015; 08-28-2018 at 08:50 PM.
Old 08-28-2018
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of
Re: Idle p505

Throwing parts at it isn't the best approach...test first.
The coil and the igniter within the distributor on these cars can in a failing/weak state can cause starting and running issues. Test coil spark by jumping arc to ground via a screwdriver.
Old 08-28-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Megalodong
Throwing parts at it isn't the best approach...test first.
The coil and the igniter within the distributor on these cars can in a failing/weak state can cause starting and running issues. Test coil spark by jumping arc to ground via a screwdriver.

the car though starts just fine. It's when it gets to a warm temperature it seems to have a idle issue though?
Old 08-28-2018

Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Jaybec2015
the car though starts just fine. It's when it gets to a warm temperature it seems to have a idle issue though?
Honda genuine (OEM) or aftermarket throttle assembly?
Have you bled the coolant system? Air in coolant can cause idle issues.
Old 08-28-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Megalodong
Honda genuine (OEM) or aftermarket throttle assembly?
Have you bled the coolant system? Air in coolant can cause idle issues.

hmm no didn't know to bleed coolent. But the throttle was off a similar Honda. We just got home I'm going to check the coils now.

Will YouTube how to bleed coolent. It started just fine, just waiting for it to start fluctuating right now. Will air bubbles really cause the idle to dance around?

Old 08-28-2018

hmm no didn't know to bleed coolent. But the throttle was off a similar Honda. We just got home I'm going to check the coils now.
Will YouTube how to bleed coolent. It started just fine, just waiting for it to start fluctuating right now. Will air bubbles really cause the idle to dance around?

Download this free 6th gen (96-00) Honda Civic service manual: https://www.manualslib.com/manual/46...nda-Civic.html
Use service manual as the primary source and youtube vids as a secondary source.

Coolant Bleed:
1) Raise front end of car on jackstands (highest setting) so that the radiator neck is higher than the engine.
2) Turn climate control to MAX heat and fan to OFF position
3) Remove radiator cap and (from cold start) let engine idle until radiator fans engages twice (about 15-20 minutes)..add coolant mix as needed to radiator and reservoir. Do not let radiator coolant level below base of radiator neck.
* When properly bled bubbles should be tiny to non-existent at idle after 20 minutes or so. I personally prefer to rev the engine intermittently during the bleed procedure to help move bubbles through the cooling system and then let idle for a few minutes near the end of the bleed procedure to ensure the bubbles are tiny or non-existent.
4) After proper bleed install radiator cap and allow the engine to cool down fully. When engine is cold check both the radiator and reservoir for proper coolant levels..add as needed.
Old 09-03-2018
Registered!!

Finally was able to do this. I had done this test and the engine just shut down after sticking the funnel inside the fill hole. Took a few days to get this up and running again. Finally running and did the test again. The car once warm again is up and down and throwing that p505 code. The throttle i purchased was off a wrecked civic and I assumed buying a whole new throttle would fix that code, but it did not. It's only when the car is in Park/Neutral that it does this. I am so sorry to need this help!
Old 09-04-2018

Finally was able to do this. I had done this test and the engine just shut down after sticking the funnel inside the fill hole. Took a few days to get this up and running again. Finally running and did the test again. The car once warm again is up and down and throwing that p505 code. The throttle i purchased was off a wrecked civic and I assumed buying a whole new throttle would fix that code, but it did not. It's only when the car is in Park/Neutral that it does this. I am so sorry to need this help!
A P505 code can be hard to solve if not directly related to IACV. Try a smoke test to rule out a vacuum leak.