I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Tachometer not functioning/Vtec not crossing over

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
oemFTW is an unknown quantity at this point
Tachometer not functioning/Vtec not crossing over

Hello everyone, I’m new here so forgive me for any “rookie “ mistakes. As the title states, my tachometer is bad, vtec won’t cross over. Both issues were present when i purchased the car. In addition, the car needed a head gasket. I know my way around an engine bay, so i replaced the head gasket myself, along with timing belt tensioner(old broke when bolt loosened) and timing belt(why not). Everything reassembled correctly, head torqued to spec, etc.
Engine runs strong, and smooth.
I have been told that vtec isn’t crossing over because of the tach, i was told to try a new distributor(did not solve problem) and I’m stumped. Getting a fully functional cluster to try today, Fingers Crossed!
the tach needle points dead 6o’clock, when you start the engine it cycles clockwise to the 0 peg, then returns to previous position.
the vtec solenoid clicks when probed with power(jumper wire)

Thanks in advance for any advice, direction, or possible solutions!
Old 03-06-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Tachometer not functioning/Vtec not crossing over

the tach needle points dead 6o’clock, when you start the engine it cycles clockwise to the 0 peg,
Take apart your gauge (remove the lens), lift the needle over the stop peg so it sits on zero?

No vtec action, are you sure? Got fault codes for it?
You do realize, VTEC engagement is not like all the "VTEC JUST KICKED IN, YO!" memes, there isn't any kick in the pants feeling....it's only a slight bump in power
Old 03-06-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Take apart your gauge (remove the lens), lift the needle over the stop peg so it sits on zero?

No vtec action, are you sure? Got fault codes for it?
You do realize, VTEC engagement is not like all the "VTEC JUST KICKED IN, YO!" memes, there isn't any kick in the pants feeling....it's only a slight bump in power
already tried that, when key was turned to run position, rotated to 3k and held until engine was started. It rotated clockwise to 6o’clock and stayed there.
I’m very aware of that, and I’m positive it’s not engaging. No codes, no cel.
Old 03-06-2018
Registered!!

UPDATE:
I now have CEL 67, Catalytic Converter
Old 03-06-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Sooooo if you floor the gas pedal and run it to redline up to highway speed.... Does the engine drop off power at 3000 RPM, 4000 RPM, or does it pull strong all the way to redline before it shifts?

If it's got low power and/or low RPM limit but no vtec code, could the performance problem be due to exhaust restriction? (cat code)
Old 03-09-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Sooooo if you floor the gas pedal and run it to redline up to highway speed.... Does the engine drop off power at 3000 RPM, 4000 RPM, or does it pull strong all the way to redline before it shifts?

If it's got low power and/or low RPM limit but no vtec code, could the performance problem be due to exhaust restriction? (cat code)
i cannot read RPM, however the engine pulls strong from idle to redline. That is possible. Drove my friends car(identical to mine), did a couple 2nd gear pulls. Vtec is noticeable with his car, even with stock exhaust to match my car.