I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

HELP! auto door lock problem 98 manual civic

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dougie is an unknown quantity at this point
Question HELP! auto door lock problem 98 manual civic

Hi!

Well a lady friend has a 98 civic coupe with manual transmission & it does not have electronic door lock switches anywhere. It just has a small mechanical locking tab on each door that flips side to side horizontally instead of vertically like some other 98 civics with the tabs. I found a picture with what i believe is a similar type to what she has but i don't have the car here so i'm not sure if it's exactly the same. But you get the idea. They are horizontal locking switches that are mechanical & not electrical in any way.

So anyway we have tried all the other methods of pressing the locking switch on the door & listening for clicks while manipulating the ignition switch & having the door open etc; to try & switch the auto lock off, but none of the methods do anything at all.

We also tried the method of putting the key in & out of the ignition switch 3 times etc.

Does anyone here know how to switch auto-door-lock off on these type of manual 98 civics that do not have electronic door switches?

We are thinking about disengaging the locking actuator or removing its fuse but that might immobilise the car; we're not sure?

Any help to solve this problem would be great.

Thank you so much in advance.

Doug
Old 02-22-2017
The legs in the public bathroom stall

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
mcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to behold
Re: HELP! auto door lock problem 98 manual civic

So your problem is that a car without any method of controlling the power door lock is locking the door by itself?

That sounds like someone installed an add on keyless/security system that came with its own lock actuators. If it was mine and it was acting up I would remove it and all the butchered wiring.

In the US market civics did not get auto door locks until 2006 and that was on power door lock equipped models.
Old 02-22-2017
Registered!!

So your problem is that a car without any method of controlling the power door lock is locking the door by itself?
Hi
Thank you for your prompt reply & your time!

Yes each door has a mechanical locking tab of its own, & nowhere in the car is there an electronic door lock switch of any kind.

The doors lock when the key is in the ignition & can't be opened until the key is switched off.

If we remove the actuator will the car be immobilised ? I thought maybe we could just remove the actuator fuse under the dash to disengage the locking system
Old 02-22-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Look under the drivers side of the dash for non-original wiring and a small black box (most aftermarket controllers are black), wiring installed by most humans is readily identifiable as obviously not from Honda (visible colored wires not in a loom, much excess wire balled up to take up slack, blue sctoch-locks, lots of black tape, lots of zip-ties).

Disable, remove inline fuses, disconnect the control unit as necessary to disable the system.

Then if you wish, you can remove each door panel to remove each electric actuator that was added on as part of the auto-lock package. Return the car to original "as built" manual locks.
Old 02-22-2017
Registered!!

Thanks for your reply, & I will look for that black box & wiring this afternoon when I go to where the car is.

Thanks again..
Old 02-23-2017
Registered!!

Okay well I found the black box & wiring but it was a huge mass of tightly taped stuff high up under the dash & i couldn't see myself removing all that without a great deal trouble. So I cut the after market wires that went into each door & that did the trick. The doors are now able to be opened at any time & will not cause any more distress & heartache like they did when the auto lock was active.

Thanks for all of your help.

Best wishes.
Old 03-23-2017
Registered!!

mmancinelli is an unknown quantity at this point

Glad to hear you resolved your issue. For those who have 90s model civics with manual locks. There is a trick to locking manual door locks. On the inside of the door, you need to pull the door handle that opens the door and keep it pulled while you push the lock lever in to lock the door. Its designed that way and is very annoying!

Last edited by mmancinelli; 03-23-2017 at 01:06 PM. Reason: Issue already resolved. Post irrelevant