I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Electric locks draining battery?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wiljamus is an unknown quantity at this point
Electric locks draining battery?

I bought a '96 Civic for my son's first car. What i thought was a bad battery seems to be a drain from the electric door locks. Using a VOM a friend and i isolated the drain on the battery to the fuse for the door lock circuit. Since removing the fuse the battery seems fine. Any suggestion would be appreciated. I would like to get that circuit working properly.
Old 01-23-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Electric locks draining battery?

If you install the fuse, do the power locks work CORRECTLY? If anything at all doesn't work as designed, that's probably a good place to start looking.

Any aftermarket equipment under the dash? Alarm, remote start, etc?

Wiring diagram, voltmeter/ammeter, isolate sections...maybe see if a power lock switch is stuck on. Maybe the door lock (key cylinder) has a switch on the back that has broken, forcing the system try to lock (or unlock) the doors all the time.
Old 01-26-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wiljamus is an unknown quantity at this point

There is no alarm or other aftermarket equipment that i know of. Of the locks; passenger front and both back work properly as far as i can tell. The driver's door must be locked with the key once you are out of the car. It locks the same as the rest but opens when you close the door. I figured that's a feature to keep you from locking your key in the car. Otherwise it works as expected. i will check the locks with the fuse in. On of them has to be the culprit - drawing current all the time. Or maybe it's a switch. Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 01-26-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

The driver's door must be locked with the key once you are out of the car.
To lock while drivers door is open: Pull out on the outside or inside handle then use the lock button (Manual or power).

This is in the owners manual if you still have it.