I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

After Market Fog Light Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
carvedtop is an unknown quantity at this point
Question After Market Fog Light Question

Hello,
I've got a fog light kit from Spec-D Tuning. It came with no installation instructions, and calling them was a waste of time. They were no help.
So I've been reading all the threads about AM and DIY fog light installs, and after having a go at the install, I've reached a wall.

I followed the Honda install instructions that I found online, and have the harnesses in place and connected under the dash. I have power to the switch, and it lights when I press it. I hear the relay click, but the fogs never come on. Even when I turn on the lights, I get no fogs.

I put a tester at the plug by the washer bottle but I'm getting no current there. I'm wondering if I have something wired wrong, or maybe the relay is bad? Any advise is greatly appreciated.

Ray

Last edited by carvedtop; 05-22-2012 at 12:31 AM. Reason: misspelling
Old 05-22-2012
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: After Market Fog Light Question

If you hear the relay click then it is most likely good. Did you connect the + of the battery to pin 30? If the relay is clicking then the coil is getting voltage (pins 85&86). You should have connected the battery to pin 30 and fog light positives to pin 87.
Old 05-22-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by GolNat
If you hear the relay click then it is most likely good. Did you connect the + of the battery to pin 30? If the relay is clicking then the coil is getting voltage (pins 85&86). You should have connected the battery to pin 30 and fog light positives to pin 87.
I'm not sure. I'll have to check when I get home tonight.

Thanks!
Ray
Old 05-24-2012
Registered!!

OK, I checked all the wiring in the supplied interior harness and it seems to be good, and going to the right places. I even cleaned up the poor solder splices.

The Relay connector is wired correctly with +12v to pin 30 and the fogs to pin 87.
I also did a quick test of the fog lights by supplying +12v at to the harness connector at the washer bottle, and they light up. So from that point to the fogs it's good.

The only 2 places I need to check tonight is the factory harness from the washer bottle to the fuse box, and the dash switch. I'm suspecting that there may be an issue in one of those two places.

BTW, I found this good tutorial on Relays if anyone is interested. You can't download it but it's a good reference.
<cite>www.autoshop101.com/forms/hweb2.pdf

</cite>Updates to follow......

Last edited by carvedtop; 05-24-2012 at 02:43 PM. Reason: Added text