I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

constant +12 volt wire for stereo memory

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jeronimo08 is an unknown quantity at this point
constant +12 volt wire for stereo memory

I am trying to hook up aftermarket stereo into the 99' civic I just bought. The car came with no stereo. I have all the wires identified and connected. Everything is good except I cant find the contstant +12 volt to connect the yellow (memory) wire to. It's no where to be found so I have the yellow piggybacking with the red wire to the ignition +12 volt wire. What avenue should I head down to fix this problem? Thanks gang.
Old 08-23-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: constant +12 volt wire for stereo memory

get a nice 14 gauge wire and run it to the battery + terminal with the proper rated fuse (15 amp should work).
Old 08-24-2011
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/...tail/1053.html
Old 08-24-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by gearbox
get a nice 14 gauge wire and run it to the battery + terminal with the proper rated fuse (15 amp should work).
Being the electrically challenged person that I am, where on the battery do I connect it? Do I disconnect the positive terminal and wrap my new 14 gauge wire on the bottom of the battery post and then replace the positive terminal? BTW, thank. I appreciate the help.
Old 08-24-2011
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

you can buy a ring terminal and crimp it to the end of the wire then connect the ring to the battery terminal
Old 08-26-2011
Registered!!

OK, I got all my supplies and started the process but ran into a snag. I can't find a place to run the new wire from the stereo into the engine compartment so that I can attach it to the battery. Is there an easy access port I should use or do I need to drill a hole? I already know I don't want to head down the second option. I really appreciate the help.
Old 08-26-2011
Premium Member

there should be a place under the passenger side dash if you pull back the carpet. i think there is one on the driver side too. just look for other wires going thru the firewall.
Old 08-27-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

You aught to have my job. We cut 1-2 inch holes in brand new vehicles. There should be like 4-5 places to put that wire thru.

Do not hook any wires to the battery without an inline fuse. That fuse needs to be within 6 inches of the battery. I use something like this and put the ring connector on one end of it and the wire on the other side:
Name:  fuseholder.jpg
Views: 2950
Size:  14.1 KB
Old 08-28-2011
Registered!!

Got it done. Wouldn't of happened without all your help. Thanks everyone.
Old 05-24-2012
Registered!!

lono317 is an unknown quantity at this point

The best way to get it is go right to the 12 volt constant at the ign.