I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Amp problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hlferrer is an unknown quantity at this point
Amp problem

Hello guys,
I am currently having an amp problem in my system. My system has been working fine for about 6 months now without a problem, but recently it seems like my amp is not fully receiving 12 volts or turning on completely. When i turn on the car my subs are only half way powered but after a while the power up and then again lose power and turn off completely. I did the set up myself and i connected everything correctly, i doubled checked the connections in the amp and everything was intact such as 12 volts, remote wire, ground, and the 1 farad capacitor also is connected correctly. I'm running my 4 gauge wire directly to the capacitor and then to the amp, and also the same for the ground. I also check all the fuses, so my question is what can be causing this problem? could it be the battery? the amp is bad? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help

In my 2000 ex:
2 8" Memphis m class subs 150 w RMS/ 300 peak
1 Farad Rockford Fosgate capacitor
Mtx 250 watt amp d class (i think not sure anymore)
Old 05-17-2010
Registered!!

I ROCK THE SOHC is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Amp problem

It could be your alternator. If its not charging your battery all the way up you wont have full power. Or maybe your battery wont take a full charge. Take your car on the highway with all your electronics off and the alternator will charge the batter quick like the for about 5 minutes. Then see if you still have the problem.
Old 05-18-2010
Administrator
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
electric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond repute

what voltage do you read at the amp when it's quiet?
Old 05-18-2010
Registered!!

Thanks "I ROCK THE SOHC", i was wondering how could i actually tell if my alternator is the one causing the problem? and are they expensive?

Thanks electric130, i will check the voltage reading after I'm done with my finals and let you know. I imagine that the voltage read when there quiet is below 12v `, if it is do you any suggestion what can cause the problem?
Old 05-18-2010
Administrator
Administrator

electric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond repute

if it is, verify you're battery is doing the same. if it is, i'd say your alternator is bad.
Old 05-18-2010
Registered!!

Go to your local shop and they can put a meter to your alternator and your battery and check the output. Or like i said drive on the highway for 5 minutes will all electronics off. Then turn your radio on and see how much output your amp is putting out. If its running at full power its your batter or alternator. If it still isnt at max output then it is something with the amp or subs
Old 05-18-2010
Registered!!

And no its not to expensive. You can get a oem for around 100-200$
Old 05-19-2010
Registered!!

Thanks for all your help, i will try your suggestions and post results after finals lol
Old 05-19-2010
Registered!!

Kool just let me know how it goes
Old 05-21-2010
Registered!!

SPUNKYcivy01 is an unknown quantity at this point

If you have a cap it shoudlnt matter if the alternator is giving power or not, since that is what a cap is for (correct me if im wrong). It sounds internal in the amp.
Old 05-21-2010
Administrator
Administrator

Originally Posted by SPUNKYcivy01
If you have a cap it shoudlnt matter if the alternator is giving power or not, since that is what a cap is for (correct me if im wrong).
if there's nothing to charge the cap (alternator) then the cap will become a drain on the battery as well.
Old 05-21-2010
Registered!!

Exactly. Just like you can have 5 batteries but if you got nothing to charge them then there is no point for them
Old 05-23-2010
Registered!!

Hey guys i finally got done with school and took a look at my system. On the way home i turned off my electronics and drove for about 15 mins and then turned my subs on and they were working great. Once i got home i used a voltmeter and measured the voltage of the car battery, it was 12.36 V as expected and then i measured it at the cap and amp and remote and all of them was 12.36 v, after i turned on the car i measured the battery again and it was 14.3 v because the alternator was on and the amp and cap and remote wire also had the same voltage. So once again i checked all the connections and now the problem is gone i don't know what caused it but so far they are working fine. No idea what fixed it or what was wrong lol. Thanks for all the help
Old 05-24-2010
Registered!!

civicpapi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by hlferrer
Hello guys,
I am currently having an amp problem in my system. My system has been working fine for about 6 months now without a problem, but recently it seems like my amp is not fully receiving 12 volts or turning on completely. When i turn on the car my subs are only half way powered but after a while the power up and then again lose power and turn off completely. I did the set up myself and i connected everything correctly, i doubled checked the connections in the amp and everything was intact such as 12 volts, remote wire, ground, and the 1 farad capacitor also is connected correctly. I'm running my 4 gauge wire directly to the capacitor and then to the amp, and also the same for the ground. I also check all the fuses, so my question is what can be causing this problem? could it be the battery? the amp is bad? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help

In my 2000 ex:
2 8" Memphis m class subs 150 w RMS/ 300 peak
1 Farad Rockford Fosgate capacitor
Mtx 250 watt amp d class (i think not sure anymore)
Just for curiousity, do you always crank the system? or run it moderatly?
Old 05-24-2010
Registered!!

Depends on the day, mostly i play it moderately but sometimes i crank it up a bit.