I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Doors Locking Automatically

Old 08-04-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
amberlynette is an unknown quantity at this point
Doors Locking Automatically

I have a 97 Civic EX coupe. The other day my door locks decided to start locking automatically. While driving they lock and then they try to lock like five more times and then a little while later they try again, and again, and again. It gets quite annoying after a while, and I have already locked my self out of the car by accident. I haven't made any changes to my car lately so I'm not sure what caused this but if anyone has any idea how I can make it stop I would really appreciate it. Thank you
Old 08-04-2009
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Doors Locking Automatically

It could be the lock/unlock switch on the door (disconnect it as a test)

It may also be a problem with the switch in the drivers door that senses the position of the lock ****.
Old 08-04-2009
Registered!!

I tried holding up the lock switch and it still tries to lock. Even when the doors are already locked it tries to keep locking them. Thank you
Old 08-04-2009

CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

Does it ever do this when just sitting with engine off & key out of ignition ??

If you are in the car when off, all doors closed and unlocked and you push down on the drivers door lock ****. Do all the doors then lock ??
Old 08-04-2009
Registered!!

It only does the locking thing when the car is on. The drivers side will only lock if the handle is pulled out a little bit and the passenger side only locks sometimes. I just got the car maybe a month ago. Both doors do that though, you have to pull out the door handle and then push the lock button.
Old 08-04-2009

"It only does the locking thing when the car is on"

That is scary... both my theories are out then.

The drivers door should be lockable when closed either by key, lock switch or pushing the lock **** down... but requires handles held if open (Honda's are made that way to help prevent lockout)
Old 08-04-2009
Registered!!

Yes my car apparently thinks it's funny to lock me in while I'm driving. I have no clue where to even begin to try to figure it out. The other thing I didn't mention is two days before it started this it started blowing the fuse for the dash lights. I love my car but it's making me crazy.
Old 08-05-2009
Registered!!

I think it may be the switch that is supposed to lock the doors only when you start the car, but I have no idea where that is. Any ideas?
Old 08-05-2009

Does your car still have the original stereo that it came with ??
(on 6th gens some items are controlled through the audio units)

Any recent mechanical or electrical work been done ??
Old 08-05-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

i bet the previous owner had an aftermarket alarm that was partly uninstalled or stopped working. they have the auto door lock thing built-in and i disconnected mine by cutting a yellow wire under the dash. but i would need to know more about whats in the car. have you looked aabove the brake pedal where the fuses and stuff are? see if theres any old alarm boxes.
Old 08-06-2009
Registered!!

Craig:
No I don't have the stock stereo anymore but I've had the stereo in it for a while now. No recent work has been done to my car either.
Gearbox:
Yes there is an alarm under there but it doesn't work. I know the keychain works because it lights up but nothing happens. I was thinking about that yesterday as a possibility.

Thanks for all your help
Old 08-06-2009
Administrator
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
electric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amberlynette
you have to pull out the door handle and then push the lock button.
that's normal for civics. that's how honda designed them. it's supposed to prevent you locking your keys in the car by making you consciously lock the doors either by pulling the handle, or lock with the key from the outside.

i'm betting on the alarm unit causing the problem.
Old 08-06-2009
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
unTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to all

is there any chance you could get under there and take a picture of the old alarm box? or open it up and take a picture? it might help.