Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here

new member, old civic low miles looking for wheel opinions

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
steven7685 is an unknown quantity at this point
new member, old civic low miles looking for wheel opinions

new to the forum and this is my first post.
I own a 2000 Civic LX and its bone stock, I don't plan on doing anything crazy to it as its just my commuter vehicle. bought it last year with 42k miles on it so I expect to have it for some years to come.

Anyway, I just don't like the way it handles on the back road that I drive to and from work on every day so my boss suggested I get some wheels and tires (I am a fabricator for a high end early model Ford Mustang Suspension shop, and my boss is basically the AutoX king on the west coast) he tells me the wheels and tires should be enough to make me happy for what I'm looking for.

I've done a bit of research and poking around now. I have an idea of what I want, but I wanted to have some experienced opinions of what will and wont work for a 6th gen sedan.

What I'm thinking of getting is some 16x7 wheels (haven't decided which ones yet) and running some 205/45/r16 tires on them (I like having more tire options, and would like to keep it close to the OEM tire diameter). I may ed up lowering the car, but nothing extreme. maybe 1-1.5" but for now i'm at stock height.

My questions are.
* Will I have any rubbing issues lock to lock turn with a 8.1" wide tire as opposed to the stock 7.3" tire?
* What offset should I be looking to get the Wheels in? (Keeping in mind I may slightly lower the car, and the new tire will be almost an inch wider + I don't want to do any body work or have camber issues)
* If you run the same set up, were you happy with the results?

there is too much body roll for this ride to be enjoyable taking sheer cliff side turns at more than 45mph, my last ride was a 1999 3 series BMW and it handles like a dream, although I'm not hoping to make my civic handle like a BMW id like to get more out of it than what it is. im currently on stock 14inch rims.

Thanks for taking a look
Steve
Old 02-11-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: new member, old civic low miles looking for wheel opinions

2000 Civic LX
I just don't like the way it handles
too much body roll
Got sway bars?
Old 02-11-2018
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,122 Likes on 937 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by ezone
Got sway bars?
this, and 16" is too big in my opinion for a 6th gen, I think 15"s look good.
I think the honda fit had factory 16"s that have the same bolt pattern. Otherwise 4 bolt integras and civics up to 2001 have lots of different 4 x 100 alloy rims
Old 02-11-2018
Registered!!

I do have the oem (I'm assuming it's oem) front sway bar, but there isn't any sway bar in the rear.

why do you say the 16 is too big? Will it not work?
I like the idea of having a smaller sidewall than what the 15 offers (3.8" vs 4.3") wont a smaller side wall tire be more responsive, and have a less "springy/body roll" feel in the corners due to a stiffer side wall?

I don't want to go too small however I think the 3.2" sidewall a 17 inch wheel has to offer will create a much rougher ride. I also think a 17 would look goofy on my car.

any recommendations for a rear sway bar? And should I upgrade the front oem one?
honestly though, I can just make my own. I have made several hundred for early model mustangs that come into my shop.
Old 02-11-2018
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

On my '95 EX coupe: Nitto 205/50/15. Rota rims
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180211_175558922_BURST001.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	2.07 MB
ID:	111976   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180211_175528505.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	3.27 MB
ID:	111977  
Old 02-11-2018
Registered!!

those look pretty nice. are you lowered at all? because my car looks like there is much more room with the stock setup which is .4 inches taller than that
Old 02-11-2018
Registered!!

this is what my car currently looks like. don't mind the mess, its hella dirty atm.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20180211_152441 (1).jpg
Views:	43
Size:	3.33 MB
ID:	111978  
Old 02-11-2018
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by steven7685
those look pretty nice. are you lowered at all? because my car looks like there is much more room with the stock setup which is .4 inches taller than that
Thanks. Yes, it's lowered.