Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here

Front brake pad grinding?

Old 01-19-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cmendoza21 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Front brake pad grinding?

I was in the passenger seat of my own car after getting picked up and noticed that every time the driver pressed the brakes I could hear a grinding noise coming from the passenger side front wheel. I'm pretty sure its my brake pads, which I will be changing within the next day. My question is, do I have to change the rear drum brakes all at the same time when I change the front brake pads? I will also be inspecting the front rotors and checking for any unevenly worn areas or webbing of the rotors.

Let me know if it is absolutely necessary for me to change the rear drum brakes as well.
Old 01-19-2018
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Front brake pad grinding?

Most rear drum brakes will out live the car.
Old 01-19-2018
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,120 Likes on 935 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

it would be worth popping the drums off and giving them a clean and lube, shouldn't need to replace anything on the rear though
Old 01-19-2018

CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

^^ And, all of my latest Civics.... the drums slid right off easily.
Old 01-19-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Colin42
it would be worth popping the drums off and giving them a clean and lube, shouldn't need to replace anything on the rear though
So spray the cylinder/springs in the drum brake assembly with brake cleaner right? Is it the same with the lube? What lube would you recommend? Like a silicon lubricant?
Old 01-19-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by CraigW
Most rear drum brakes will out live the car.
So if I replace the old brake pads with the new ones they will have a thicker pad obviously since they're new, so if I apply the brakes would the brake pads make contact before the drum brakes, leading to them wearing out faster? Maybe I'm just overthinking the way the brake system works.
Old 01-19-2018

^^^ They likely will not be that much thicker over what you have on it currently.
Old 01-19-2018

Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by cmendoza21
So spray the cylinder/springs in the drum brake assembly with brake cleaner right? Is it the same with the lube? What lube would you recommend? Like a silicon lubricant?
spray the whole assembly and the drum with brake clean.
for lube I use silicone paste in the areas where the shoes contact the pads and the threads of the adjuster
easiest with the shoes removed, do one side at a time so you have a reference when you reassemble, taking pictures can help too

Originally Posted by cmendoza21
So if I replace the old brake pads with the new ones they will have a thicker pad obviously since they're new, so if I apply the brakes would the brake pads make contact before the drum brakes, leading to them wearing out faster? Maybe I'm just overthinking the way the brake system works.
the fronts do about 80% of the work anyways, the brakes are self adjusting
Old 01-19-2018

Originally Posted by CraigW
^^ And, all of my latest Civics.... the drums slid right off easily.
I don't get so lucky up here in Canada, luckily the drums have those threaded holes in them