Grinding Sound When Braking - Honda Civic Forum

Wheels, Tires & Brakes Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-28-2017   #1  
Registered!!

lindylex is an unknown quantity at this point
Grinding Sound When Braking

I have a really bad grinding sound when I am braking. I checked the front breaks and rotors and noticed both axles needed to be replaced. I replaced them thinking this was the source of the grinding sound. The rotors are smooth and the breaks are still thick enough I think to not need replacement.

The grinding sound can be heard when I drive at speeds below 30 MPH.

What might I the neophyte mechanic might have missed?

Car: 1997 Honda Civic LX four doors.

Thanks, in advance

Last edited by lindylex; 04-28-2017 at 11:52 AM.
lindylex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017   #2  
Allow me to explain through interpretive dance

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Grinding Sound When Braking

Quote:
I checked the front breaks

What might I the neophyte mechanic might have missed?
The REAR brakes?

Quote:

and the breaks are still thick enough I think
Did you examine all 4 brake pads?
ezone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017   #3  
Registered!!

I only checked the front not the rear drums. What would I see if this is making such a terrible sound from the rear brakes?
Old 04-28-2017   #4  

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Is the grind sound coming from the front, or the rear?
Your first post never said which.
Old 04-28-2017   #5  
Registered!!

It sounds like it is from the front.
Old 04-29-2017   #6  

Backing plate rubbing on rotor?
Old 04-29-2017   #7  
Administrative Rice. WAT?!
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

xRiCeBoYx has much to be proud ofxRiCeBoYx has much to be proud ofxRiCeBoYx has much to be proud ofxRiCeBoYx has much to be proud ofxRiCeBoYx has much to be proud ofxRiCeBoYx has much to be proud ofxRiCeBoYx has much to be proud ofxRiCeBoYx has much to be proud ofxRiCeBoYx has much to be proud ofxRiCeBoYx has much to be proud ofxRiCeBoYx has much to be proud of

The inner brake pads, highly unlikely you can diagnose how thick the pads are. On my 02, had a bit of uneven wear, and the inner pads were wearing much faster than the outer, resulting in a terrible grinding noise.

It's just 2 14mm (I think, at least, for the size) bolts holding the caliper on. Remove and do a physical inspection of the pads. Alternatively, if the grinding is that bad, there could be metal on metal (i.e. backing plate and rotor) contact (like ezone suggested) and there'd likely be visible damage to the inner surface of the rotor. Pull the wheel and run your finger on the backside of the rotor. If it feels anything but nice and smooth, you pretty much got your answer.
xRiCeBoYx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017   #8  
Registered!!

Upon further inspection it was the back part of the driver side front brake. The part difficult to see towards the engine for the beginner mechanics. I replaced the rotor on the driver side only. Because of the uneven wear I wonder if I have drag and something else is failing?
Old 05-01-2017   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezone View Post
Did you examine all 4 brake pads?
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindylex View Post
Upon further inspection it was the back part of the driver side front brake.

Wear indicator tab (squealer) has broken off, that means it was trying to tell you it's worn out for some time while the squeal noise was ignored (turned the radio up?)

How do the other 3 pads look?
Slide pins are free, not stuck?
Other 3 pads are freely movable, not stuck in the bracket?
Old 05-02-2017   #10  
Administrative Rice. WAT?!
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

xRiCeBoYx has much to be proud ofxRiCeBoYx has much to be proud ofxRiCeBoYx has much to be proud ofxRiCeBoYx has much to be proud ofxRiCeBoYx has much to be proud ofxRiCeBoYx has much to be proud ofxRiCeBoYx has much to be proud ofxRiCeBoYx has much to be proud ofxRiCeBoYx has much to be proud ofxRiCeBoYx has much to be proud ofxRiCeBoYx has much to be proud of

My experience, slide pins lacking grease is the culprit.
xRiCeBoYx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017   #11  
Registered!!

Thanks everyone for the help. I replaced the rotors, brakes and calipers. All is well now.