Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here

Grinding Sound When Braking

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lindylex is an unknown quantity at this point
Grinding Sound When Braking

I have a really bad grinding sound when I am braking. I checked the front breaks and rotors and noticed both axles needed to be replaced. I replaced them thinking this was the source of the grinding sound. The rotors are smooth and the breaks are still thick enough I think to not need replacement.

The grinding sound can be heard when I drive at speeds below 30 MPH.

What might I the neophyte mechanic might have missed?

Car: 1997 Honda Civic LX four doors.

Thanks, in advance

Last edited by lindylex; 04-28-2017 at 11:52 AM.
Old 04-28-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Grinding Sound When Braking

I checked the front breaks

What might I the neophyte mechanic might have missed?
The REAR brakes?

and the breaks are still thick enough I think
Did you examine all 4 brake pads?
Old 04-28-2017
Registered!!

I only checked the front not the rear drums. What would I see if this is making such a terrible sound from the rear brakes?
Old 04-28-2017

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Is the grind sound coming from the front, or the rear?
Your first post never said which.
Old 04-28-2017
Registered!!

It sounds like it is from the front.
Old 04-29-2017

Backing plate rubbing on rotor?
Old 04-29-2017
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,146 Likes on 801 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

The inner brake pads, highly unlikely you can diagnose how thick the pads are. On my 02, had a bit of uneven wear, and the inner pads were wearing much faster than the outer, resulting in a terrible grinding noise.

It's just 2 14mm (I think, at least, for the size) bolts holding the caliper on. Remove and do a physical inspection of the pads. Alternatively, if the grinding is that bad, there could be metal on metal (i.e. backing plate and rotor) contact (like ezone suggested) and there'd likely be visible damage to the inner surface of the rotor. Pull the wheel and run your finger on the backside of the rotor. If it feels anything but nice and smooth, you pretty much got your answer.
Old 05-01-2017
Registered!!

Upon further inspection it was the back part of the driver side front brake. The part difficult to see towards the engine for the beginner mechanics. I replaced the rotor on the driver side only. Because of the uneven wear I wonder if I have drag and something else is failing?
Old 05-01-2017

Originally Posted by ezone
Did you examine all 4 brake pads?
Originally Posted by lindylex
Upon further inspection it was the back part of the driver side front brake.

Wear indicator tab (squealer) has broken off, that means it was trying to tell you it's worn out for some time while the squeal noise was ignored (turned the radio up?)

How do the other 3 pads look?
Slide pins are free, not stuck?
Other 3 pads are freely movable, not stuck in the bracket?
Old 05-02-2017
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,146 Likes on 801 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

My experience, slide pins lacking grease is the culprit.
Old 06-27-2017
Registered!!

Thanks everyone for the help. I replaced the rotors, brakes and calipers. All is well now.