Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here

Brake line kink? and Clips...

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
phatismo is an unknown quantity at this point
Brake line kink? and Clips...

I am having some trouble with replacing the front brakes and rotors on my 1999 Civic DX. First, when I attach the brake line back to the caliper, the passenger side appears like a smooth 'S' shape, but the driver's side appears to almost kink as it attaches to the caliper. I can't see another way to attach it, any suggestions?

Also, when installing my new brake pads, the only way I can fit the pads in is if I place the spring clips on the bottom of the bracket, everywhere I have looked shows these clips are suppose to be on the top...does this matter? Is it a safety issue or any hints to make it work the correct way???

Thanks in advance...I have three non-functional cars at the moment and my head is about the explode!!! I tried to post pictures but it didn't work, I can email them to anyone if they need any clarification.
Old 09-02-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Brake line kink? and Clips...

Post the pics to a pic hosting site like tinypic or imigur, then post the links here.
Old 09-03-2014
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Post the pics to a pic hosting site like tinypic or imigur, then post the links here.
Thanks. Here is the link with pictures...

http://tinypic.com/civicbrakes
Old 09-03-2014

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

That twist makes me think you might have the brake hose for the wrong side of the car.

The spring clips are on the wrong ends of the caliper brackets, they should be on the leading edge, not the trailing edge.. It won't really damage anything, but they may make pop noises.
Around here, I usually have to grind rust buildup out of the bracket in order to make those clips fit correctly.
Old 09-03-2014
Registered!!

Thanks for the prompt response! The brake lines were already on the car, I just disconnected them from the caliper and reconnected them once I replaced my rotors. I had a mechanic play around with the car a while back and he caused some damage, I hope he did not touch the brake lines, but that is the only reason I could think if the lines are reversed. That connection just did not look right to me.
Old 09-03-2014

I don't think the lines are reversed, because the right side looks correct.

I was thinking you might have a right side line on the left caliper. Compare the angles of each steel pipe where they are bolted to the calipers.

Or maybe the hose bracket was flipped?