Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here

is this normal when i spin my tire?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
xstexas is an unknown quantity at this point
is this normal when i spin my tire?

Just got a 97 manuel civic and when I shift gears my car lunges back and forth like when someone is learning standard. I lifted my front wheels and when I spin the tires back and forth there is play before it catches inside the transmission. Is this normal and could this be causing the car to lunge back and forth? Thanks
Old 04-19-2011
Trance Addict

MelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of light
Re: is this normal when i spin my tire?

If both tires are off the ground and you spin them, they will spin until there is no momentum left. I don't know if we're talking about the same thing though. When you shift, how exactly are you releasing the clutch? Are you just dumping it? How off are you on the revs? If you're completely off, this would cause that bucking.
Old 04-19-2011
Registered!!

Too Tall will become famous soon enoughToo Tall will become famous soon enough

With the wheels off the ground, engine off, transmission in gear, you will get some play if you try to spin the tires back and forth. I have no idea how much play is normal.

It will be a good idea to check the play in the CV joints, they should not have any play.

Maybe you are not used to engaging the clutch smoothly enough.
Old 04-19-2011
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Check your engine mounts.
Old 04-19-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Me thinks you looking at non-related stuff - wrong direction... as Tbohar stated above.

From another thread today:

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/2...press-gas.html

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
clutch slipping and catching again? does the revs and speed match?

mounts (engine? Trans?) on their way out, so whole drivetrain rocks back and forth causing the jerks? (visual inspection for tears)

Last edited by sdaidoji; 04-19-2011 at 11:40 PM.