Brakes Post your questions about Brakes problems here!

Brake Pedal to Floor, can barely stop, need answers!

Old 04-04-2018
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
zer0Limitz is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Brake Pedal to Floor, can barely stop, need answers!

So i have a 99 LX. I drove it first time in months since i bought it...
So i press down on the pedal and it goes all the way down to the floor and it takes me a good distance before car finally stops. If i press it down as far as i can it barely makes a difference. I tried to stop when a light turned red, slammed on the brakes, heard the wheels (or maybe just a wheel or two) screech but car barely would stop and i had to drive through the light. I have been told many different things and am trying to figure out which would be best...

1: I have read the reason why the pedal is going to the floor is because the pads and rotors need to be replaced because they are worn out.
If they were worn out wouldnt i be hearing the hush-clip squeaking? I dont hear a single thing.

2: i have been told its because I have air in my brake lines and they need to be bled out.

3: i have been told my master cylinder is failing and it need to be replaced.
I took the cap off the reservoir (the break fluid was full) and had my friend pump the brakes. Is the fluid suppose to go down when you pump the brakes? because when he was pumping the brake the fluid did not move what so ever (car was off as well, dont think i have a power brake booster). So i was told it the MC.

This is my first 6th gen civic, and I have changed pads and rotors before i am still new to the brake system.

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated. Since going to work and coming home in the civic for the first time since i bought it and seeing how bad the brakes are not functioning, i will not be driving it until i get this squared away.

Any help is appreciated!
Thanks

Old 04-04-2018
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,122 Likes on 937 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all
Re: Brake Pedal to Floor, can barely stop, need answers!

it could be the master, or the booster, or the lines, need to do some testing
this repair may be over your head, might be better to have it towed to a shop.
Old 04-04-2018
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by zer0Limitz
1: I have read the reason why the pedal is going to the floor is because the pads and rotors need to be replaced because they are worn out.
If they were worn out wouldnt i be hearing the hush-clip squeaking? I dont hear a single thing.
Not all pads have those things so you can't assume that.

2: i have been told its because I have air in my brake lines and they need to be bled out.
This is possible if the brakes were recently done and not bleed properly or there is a leak in the system.

3: i have been told my master cylinder is failing and it need to be replaced.
I took the cap off the reservoir (the break fluid was full) and had my friend pump the brakes. Is the fluid suppose to go down when you pump the brakes? because when he was pumping the brake the fluid did not move what so ever (car was off as well, dont think i have a power brake booster). So i was told it the MC.
That big round black thing that the master cylinder is bolted to is the brake booster. Car needs to be running in order for it to work.

If you are not loosing fluid then it is not leaking out it could be squeezing by the piston in the master cylinder (in my experience the fluid did leak out into the booster). Also air in system can cause issues. Previous owner may have just done work to the brakes and not bled it properly.
Old 04-06-2018
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
zer0Limitz is an unknown quantity at this point

Well first time gonna start with making sure there are no leaks in the lines (dont think there is because the brake fluid level hasnt gone down.)

Going to bleed the system and see if that makes a difference, if not, check the pads and rotors and see if they are worn down bad.

If none of those make a difference I will be replacing the master brake cylinder.

(Brake booster is fine because pedal is not hard to press)

I will update when i get these steps done. gonna be a week long process cuz of school and work and weather.