Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here

Brake Pads Wear Extremely Uneven

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fjd_98 is an unknown quantity at this point
Brake Pads Wear Extremely Uneven

When I changed the brake pads on the front of my 98 Civic the pad wear was very uneven. On the driver's side, one of the pads was completely worn away, right down to the metal plate. The other pad had minimal wear. On the passenger side, there was no wear at all. I changed the driver's side and left the passenger side alone. The brakes seems to be working well. Should I be concerned that there is something wrong with the brake system? Why would the pads have worn that way?
Old 04-23-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Brake Pads Wear Extremely Uneven

Most likely issues, assuming the surfaces of the rotors are all in good shape:

Caliper sliding pins stuck, or the pads themselves are bound (stuck) in the caliper bracket due to rust. (The pads need to be free to move as needed.)

Rust buildup usually happens behind the stainless clips.
During most brake jobs, I take them all out and apart and grind (or wire wheel) the rust out, then apply moly paste on the fesh bare steel, then reinstall the (cleaned) stainless clips.

HTH
Old 05-18-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fjd_98 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Brake Pads Wear Extremely Uneven

Thanks. I'll try that and see what heppens. I noticed that brake pedal seems to pulsate when I apply brakes lightly as I approach a stoplight.