Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Need info about the rear brake line on the passenger side

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TS2008 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Need info about the rear brake line on the passenger side

Hi all
I need to change the rear brake line (between the flex host and the brake). Do somebody know if I can buy this part somewhere or I need to make myself one?

thx

About my car, Honda civic 99-00, sedan. dx, automatic
Old 11-24-2018
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,124 Likes on 939 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all
Re: Need info about the rear brake line on the passenger side

The one on the trailing arm?
You can buy it from Honda, way cheaper to make it yourself if you have or rent/borrow a flare tool and know how to use it
Old 11-24-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Colin42
The one on the trailing arm?
You can buy it from Honda, way cheaper to make it yourself if you have or rent/borrow a flare tool and know how to use it
Yes, it's this one. The problem is I don't know how it call and I don't have the part number. I checked the Honda service manual, but there is nothing about this part.

Edit: I have some experience with piping. I think I can make myself this part. The only thing I miss now is the spec of this part, What I need is the diameter of this line and the tread size and the tread spec.

Last edited by TS2008; 11-24-2018 at 03:53 PM.
Old 11-24-2018
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,124 Likes on 939 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

The service manual isn't going to have parts number, if you went to the parts counter at your local dealership they would be able to figure out what part it is, or use one of those websites where dealers sell parts online at a discount price.
Some parts stores have lengths of copper line already flared on both ends with fittings, you could buy one of those that's the same length or a little longer. They usually have colour coding that tells you what vehicles they work on.
Old 11-24-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Colin42
The service manual isn't going to have parts number, if you went to the parts counter at your local dealership they would be able to figure out what part it is, or use one of those websites where dealers sell parts online at a discount price.
Some parts stores have lengths of copper line already flared on both ends with fittings, you could buy one of those that's the same length or a little longer. They usually have colour coding that tells you what vehicles they work on.
Thanks for the info. I will go to Canadian tire next week to find out what they have.
Old 11-25-2018
Registered!!

old97civic is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TS2008
Thanks for the info. I will go to Canadian tire next week to find out what they have.
I changed those short lines a few years ago when I replaced the 2 long brake lines that run under the car to the rear wheels.

I was getting unreliable results from the double flaring tool when I made the main lines so to make it easier for myself I bought ready-to-use copper lines for the short ones on the trailing arms. They already have the inverted flare nuts on them so you just have to bend them into the necessary shape. From what I remember there is one fairly sharp bend, I supported the tube over a socket to prevent it from kinking. FYI my car has rear DRUMS, and the 12" lines worked for me. Use your old lines as a size guide. I got mine at Partsource (which is the same company as Cdn Tire). They have the same stuff but usually a better range of items and more stock.