Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2000 LX. Misfire Codes when starting HOT

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
diskman2018 is an unknown quantity at this point
2000 LX. Misfire Codes when starting HOT

2000 Civic LX 1.6L auto trans. Just turned 200K on the clock. Purchased used 2 years ago with a warped head. I had the head planed to the limit and replaced timing belt, water pump and head bolts/gaskets with OEM. Been running GREAT. I whip this car for Pizza delivery part time. Have put 35K on it since I bought it.

Since the weather temps are touching 100F here, it has a problem starting HOT/Warm. If I let it sit for about 15-45 minutes it runs rough, blinks CEL sometimes and I get a P1399 and P0302 code. Have replaced so far: Coil (oem), plugs (NGK), wires (OEM), Dist cap and rotor (OEM) and ECT sensor (OEM). Cleaned the IAC and replaced the PCV valve. Adjusted valves.

Car drives and runs fantastic once started and I pull low 30s MPG on the highway.

Compression test: Cyl1=185, Cyl2=185, Cyl3=160, Cyl4=185.

I need to "top off" the coolant overflow every 2 weeks or so with about 8 ounces of coolant. Engine temp is normal even when crazy hot with the A/C on.

No smoking out the tailpipe.

Ideas on the HOT start Misfire?? Would NOT be suprised if the head is having issues again..
Old 08-13-2018
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of
Re: 2000 LX. Misfire Codes when starting HOT

When it misfires check injectors with a stethoscope or pvc pipe to your ear and listen for firing. Also, check the resistance of each injector.
Old 08-13-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Get it to act up.
When it acts up and before it clears itself out, shut it off and immediately remove the sparkplug from #2. Is it wet and does it smell like antifreeze?

Good idea on checking resistance of injectors. Make sure to check it while screaming hot, same as above after shutting it off while the problem was occurring. .
Old 08-14-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Megalodong
When it misfires check injectors with a stethoscope or pvc pipe to your ear and listen for firing. Also, check the resistance of each injector.
Whoops. Forgot that. I swapped in a set from a known running engine AFTER I moved #2 to #4 and 3/1 around. The issue does NOT follow the injectors.
Old 08-14-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Get it to act up.
When it acts up and before it clears itself out, shut it off and immediately remove the sparkplug from #2. Is it wet and does it smell like antifreeze?

Good idea on checking resistance of injectors. Make sure to check it while screaming hot, same as above after shutting it off while the problem was occurring. .
I hate to pull the plugs HOT but this will be the next thing I look at. I am looking for the best deal/warrranty on heads now. Should I slap a Y8 head on there for funzies? Same price new as the Y7 head. lol.
Old 08-14-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by diskman2018
I hate to pull the plugs HOT but this will be the next thing I look at. I am looking for the best deal/warrranty on heads now. Should I slap a Y8 head on there for funzies? Same price new as the Y7 head. lol.
I wouldn't even consider anything until I know for sure what the problem is.
Old 08-14-2018
Registered!!

Ugh. Pulled the plugs again tonight. #2 has a DEFINTE blue tinge and it smells like coolant. 1 and 3 are fine. 4 is slightly blue. The Honda coolant I now use is blue sooooo. Looks like coolant is getting into #2 when sitting. I tossed a small bottle of K-seal into it for the heck of it while I figure out a plan.
Old 08-16-2018

Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

I tossed a small bottle of K-seal into it for the heck of it while I figure out a plan.
That is exactly what you should not have done. Probably won't seal the leak and can possibly clog radaitor and heater core.
Old 08-16-2018
Registered!!

Trip Report: I have driven just under 600 miles now. Hot starting, idling in traffic with the A/C on, highway and in-town. Check engine light turned off about an hour into driving. Hot start problem is GONE. Drivability is MUCH better and the slight miss at idle is gone. Seems to have a bit more pickup too. My mileage has increased a bit too.

Using the stop-leak was my last-ditch effort to track this down. What was happening is that the intake stroke on #2 would pull in coolant during high-vacuum (idle/low speeds) causing a misfire. Compression stroke/fire was NOT going into the cooling system. I'm thinking the MLM gasket was acting like a valve.

Yes, I understood what the stop-leak could do to my rad/heater core. At least I now know FOR SURE that I have head issues and can start ordering parts to repair. At least parts are crazy cheap for the Civics.
Old 08-16-2018

Yes, I understood what the stop-leak could do to my rad/heater core. At least I now know FOR SURE that I have head issues and can start ordering parts to repair. At least parts are crazy cheap for the Civics.
Pouring in a sealer is not a diagnostic test and you (still) potentially may have done more harm than good. A better option would have been to understand that coolant got into the cylinder via a headgasket breach or crack in the cylinder head or block...wet plugs with coolant should have lead you directly to pulling the head and inspecting it, top of block, cylinder walls and head gasket.A leakdown test would most likely have diagnosed the issue as well. So, now you have the fun task of trying to get all the sealer **** out of the coolant system if you decide to a proper fix: head gasket replacement. However, now that you have the sealer in the system..if it's holding and coolant isn't pushing into overflow and engine isn't running hot then you may want to leave it as is and see how long it will last..at your engine's own risk that is.
Old 08-16-2018
Registered!!

Pouring in a sealer is not a diagnostic test and you (still) potentially may have done more harm than good. A better option would have been to understand that coolant got into the cylinder via a headgasket breach or crack in the cylinder head or block...wet plugs with coolant should have lead you directly to pulling the head and inspecting it, top of block, cylinder walls and head gasket.A leakdown test would most likely have diagnosed the issue as well. So, now you have the fun task of trying to get all the sealer **** out of the coolant system if you decide to a proper fix: head gasket replacement. However, now that you have the sealer in the system..if it's holding and coolant isn't pushing into overflow and engine isn't running hot then you may want to leave it as is and see how long it will last..at your engine's own risk that is.
At least I know for sure what the problem is and have started ordering parts. If the car blows up before I get parts then oh well. It's an 18 year old Civic with 205K miles that I beat around in for pizza delivery. I just wanted to experiment with the stop leak and it worked as advertised in my situation. Never used it before and probably never will. The Civic will eventually end up as my kids car and he will promptly destroy it soooo.... It's paid for itself many times over delivering anyways.

Old 08-16-2018

At least I know for sure what the problem is and have started ordering parts. If the car blows up before I get parts then oh well. It's an 18 year old Civic with 205K miles that I beat around in for pizza delivery. I just wanted to experiment with the stop leak and it worked as advertised in my situation. Never used it before and probably never will. The Civic will eventually end up as my kids car and he will promptly destroy it soooo.... It's paid for itself many times over delivering anyways.
Vell, if you decide to do a head gasket go with OEM parts: head-gasket, intake gasket, good time for a thermostat. Bring to machine shop for head inspection for cracks, valves leakage and mating surface warpage. IMO..it's also a good time to replace the valve seals. Hopefully, the K-spooge will hold for a while until it becomes your son's problem...LOL. Then you and him can fix it together..a nice father and son project.
Old 08-16-2018
Registered!!

Vell, if you decide to do a head gasket go with OEM parts: head-gasket, intake gasket, good time for a thermostat. Bring to machine shop for head gasket inspection for cracks, valves leakage and mating surface warpage. IMO..it's also a good time to replace the valve seals. Hopefully, the K-spooge will hold for a while until it becomes your son's problem...LOL. then you and him can fix it together..a nice father and son project.
Yeop. Looking at the new/rebuilt heads with 5 year/lifetime warranty from Clearwater for around $400 no exchange. When I planed the original warped head in January 2017, I used new OEM bolts, Gates hoses, OEM water pump, OEM timing belt, OEM intake/exhaust gaskets and OEM thermostat. I did use the MLM head gasket from Felpro I think.. I can't remember where I got the HG.. Was the Honda one MLM or fiber?
Old 08-16-2018

Looki Was the Honda one MLM or fiber?
Not sure..I've only changed 6th gen headgasket and it's OEM is MLS. Always best to go with Honda Genuine OEM, though. You better go OEM or the wrath of Ezone will befall you..lol

Clearwater, FL. is about an hour from where I live.
Old 08-16-2018
Registered!!

Not sure..I've only changed 6th gen headgasket and OEM is MLS. Always best to go with Honda Genuine OEM, though.

Clearwater, FL. is about an hour from where I live.
I used Clearwater on one of my Jeeps a while back. Appears to be a great outfit.
Old 08-17-2018

I used Clearwater on one of my Jeeps a while back. Appears to be a great outfit.
Is this the company of which you speak?: https://www.cylinder-heads.com/cylin...ms-fits-01-06/

I heard their heads are made of Valerian steel and can slay Millennial loving Prius's, soccer mom's in minivans, and old people in Buick's.