Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Distributor cap and rotor replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Virtaullyinsane is an unknown quantity at this point
Distributor cap and rotor replacement

I have recently changed both cap and rotor in my 1997 Civic Cx d16y7 , now I have a loud whining noise while the car is idling and driving. Any ideas what it could be ?

Last edited by sdaidoji; 08-13-2018 at 08:03 AM. Reason: Didn’t put year or engine make
Old 08-13-2018
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of
Re: Distributor cap and rotor replacement

if that the only thing you did, remove them and inspect
Old 08-13-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

I have a loud whining noise
Use your ears and find the source.
Old 08-13-2018
Registered!!

RobertD is a jewel in the roughRobertD is a jewel in the roughRobertD is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Virtaullyinsane
I have a loud whining noise while the car is idling and driving. Any ideas what it could be ?
i had this problem!! it was my girlfriend. she ran off, it's MUCH quieter now.
Old 08-13-2018
Registered!!

Virtaullyinsane is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry I meant to say it’s coming from the distributor and already removed the new cap and rotor couldn’t see any issue and replaced. Going to put the old one back on and see if it’s still whining.
Old 08-13-2018

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Oooh, while you have the cap off see if there's a lot of rust or other metal debris inside the distributor body. Might have a shaft bearing trying to seize up.
Old 10-09-2018
Registered!!

fgb000 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ezone
Oooh, while you have the cap off see if there's a lot of rust or other metal debris inside the distributor body. Might have a shaft bearing trying to seize up.
Hi, there is that tune up with four parts:
Spark plug wires, spark plugs, ignition rotor, and distributor cap.
Do we actualy need to replace the distributor cap?
does It really make a difference in terms of energy transmission rate? Or Engine performmance?
Do the distributor cap loose Its properties along time?
im willing to buy the tune up kit on eBay.
But do I really need the cap, because the rotor i imagine that will have some wearing because It moves?
Old 10-09-2018
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,126 Likes on 941 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

the cap and rotor contacts both wear down because of the electricity jumping between them, cap can also crack over time
Old 10-09-2018

Carbon, dirt and other scum build up (both inside and outside the cap) and can give the spark an unwanted path away from the spark plug wires

(example) Hard start, misses, stalls on humid dewy mornings or when raining? Arcing across the outside of the dist cap through the dirt LOL
Old 10-09-2018
Registered!!

fgb000 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Colin42
the cap and rotor contacts both wear down because of the electricity jumping between them, cap can also crack over time
Originally Posted by ezone
Carbon, dirt and other scum build up (both inside and outside the cap) and can give the spark an unwanted path away from the spark plug wires

(example) Hard start, misses, stalls on humid dewy mornings or when raining? Arcing across the outside of the dist cap through the dirt LOL

​​​​​​​You're the men !