Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

97' Honda Civic will not change gears

Old 02-15-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sossi is an unknown quantity at this point
97' Honda Civic will not change gears

Hi-

Wondering if anyone can maybe give me an idea of what I may be dealing with. I have a 97 Honda civic, manual transmission. I bought brand new in 97'. 2 days ago i noticed it was hard to change gears. then tried it again and it was fine. today I drove to store did my thing came out to leave and when i started it up the whole car jerked forward and idled real funny (car vibrated like it was going to stall) and i could not get it into reverse. i turned it off and same thing. I had AAA come and he was able to get it into 1st but then it wouldn't go into reverse again. forced it into reverse and it did with a grinding noise. BUT i had foot on clutch, car running while in reverse and when i took my foot off the brake and clutch all the way in the car went reverse on its own. I know i had a new clutch cylinder (i think) and flywheel put in about 8 years ago. And the transmission was re-built as well. Also, about 2 years ago i was told the clutch cylinder had a leak so ive always watched the levels. Not sure if this might have a play in whats going on now. Anyhow, any ideas of what might be going on?

Lisa
Old 02-16-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Slicer1989 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 97' Honda Civic will not change gears

I'd check the fluid level, since you said it has a leak

Sounds like the clutch isn't disengaging all the way like it should.