Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

P0135 and car almost dies when stopping

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dclou72 is an unknown quantity at this point
P0135 and car almost dies when stopping

An older post with no replies stated the following:
"I have a 2000 civic dx soc & the other day my check engine light came on and my car lost what little oomph it had. Also when I stopped the car would sputter & barely run. I replaced the fuel filter & went to auto zone 2 get a code , p0135. Faulty a/f sensor 1. I replaced it and took the car for a ride. Light still on but ran ok till bout 15min into the ride but now it only drops to a very low idle at stops ( just above 0) but is ok in park. Went back to autozone and p0135 popped up but after a few min the c/e light went off and the comp cleared. Yhe guy. Said the car has to get used to the sensor but I don't believe that. Drove for an hour and @ every stop ihe idle dropped to just above 0 with a sputter but no stall."

I also have a 2000 Civic DX. A few days ago, check engine light comes on, car drives normally across town, but sputters and feels like it is going to die when coming to a complete stop. Code reader gave P0135. I found this thread. I have not replaced the sensor (O2 sensor heater circuit), nor done anything else - have not driven above 35 mph since, same problem seems to recur (not 100% of the time, but on every drive, at least sometimes). Car did stall once. If I shift into neutral (auto trans) at stops, the spluttering stops and the engine no longer feels like it is going to stop.
Old 05-18-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: P0135 and car almost dies when stopping

Originally Posted by dclou72

I also have a 2000 Civic DX. A few days ago, check engine light comes on, car drives normally across town, but sputters and feels like it is going to die when coming to a complete stop. Code reader gave P0135. I found this thread. I have not replaced the sensor (O2 sensor heater circuit), nor done anything else - have not driven above 35 mph since, same problem seems to recur (not 100% of the time, but on every drive, at least sometimes). Car did stall once. If I shift into neutral (auto trans) at stops, the spluttering stops and the engine no longer feels like it is going to stop.

Well, first step would be to resolve the obvious fault code.
P0135 is primary O2 sensor heater circuit failure.

If you would like to actually test, you can ohm check the heating element section of the primary O2 sensor and see if it is open circuit. You can test for power and ground being supplied to the sensor.

Or just replace the sensor and see what happens.
90%+ are just a failed sensor.

You DO need to use a correct sensor, OE sensor was made by either Denso or NTK. You can remove it and read the brand on the sensor, I'd surely stick with that brand. (I think it's Denso but not certain)

You can go to that manufacturers website (google Denso or NTK) and look up the part number for your particular sensor, then check on your local parts stores (DangerZone/Pep Boys/Advanced/CT/etc.) websites to see if they have your brand and part number in stock.

A known issue with some other brands of sensors is incorrect heater circuit resistance, that does not make your computer happy. That post you copied, this may have been their problem.