Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Sticky Throttle- Stopper Screw (with answer!)

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2017
frumpy civic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mattej8 is an unknown quantity at this point
Sticky Throttle- Stopper Screw (with answer!)

Gas pedal sticks upon initial travel (first little bit), but is free after that. Doesn't stay open or closed, just has resistance at first. (Revved the engine my hand at the TB and it only got stuck there.) I didn't find a clear post about this specific issue...

My issue was the STOPPER SCREW. I adjusted it, now my throttle application is smooth again.
The stopper screw is under the throttle cable mechanism and a pain in the *** to get to. Remove your air intake to get access. Loosen the tiny lock nut, then twist the screw so it gets taller up top and 'stops' the throttle mechanism sooner. If you don't have the tiny allen key just use your fingers. Prop the throttle open with a screw driver, adjust the screw, then hold it still with you finger while tightening the lock nut with the other. Then snug it in with socket or wrench. Now check it, mine moved freely. You might need to adjust it a few times to get it right. Obviously, don't over do it.

I cleaned the throttle body (thrice)
I cleaned the return spring, then lubed it.
Checked the cable for damaged, none.
All to no avail...this might be your issue too.

So far this is a FIX. Will update if needed...
Old 04-19-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Sticky Throttle- Stopper Screw (with answer!)

When cleaning the throttle body/blade/bore doesn't help the sticking.......

I think this problem occurs when the throttle shaft bushings wear and the shaft no longer passes exactly straight through the housing, the blade ***** a little crooked and becomes wedged in the housing-- especially while the engine is running.

Cranking up the throttle stop screw might alleviate the symptom, but if one adjusts it too far it can cause other issues such as the TPS reading (CTP voltage too high) and minimum air rate/IAC/idle. Just be careful and note if there are any odd changes in the way it runs.
Old 04-19-2017
frumpy civic

mattej8 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks ezone.
I did have to re-adjust once again, as the idle was high. Now it's just right and driving isn't annoying anymore. Temp fix...I'll keep an eye on it.

As per your advice I will look into repairing or just get another TB
Old 10-21-2018
Registered!!

TheRepairMan is an unknown quantity at this point

Old thread, but I'm running into the same problem. Sticking throttle. I cleaned the throttle body bore and butterfly thoroughly, adjusted the stop ever so slightly to make sure it's not sticking, checked the throttle pedal action for irregularities, and inspected the cable. When checking by hand there is no problem found, yet when driving the throttle still feels like it's stuck right off idle, and makes getting rolling in first gear a real challenge.
The car has always had just the slightest lean feeling hesitation at that point also, so together it's a very uncomfortable experience pulling out. To compensate, I am really making it hard on the clutch, and actually pumping the throttle to get past the catch. I'll replace the throttle body, cable and pedal assembly if necessary to fix this. Which one to do first???
Any advise is appreciated.
-Roger