Engine Post your engine related problems in this section. Engines will cover from Fuel, Engine, Cooling, Exhaust physical related items.

D16Y7 Intake/Vacuum Leak (PLEASE HELP!)

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TonyThePartsGuy is an unknown quantity at this point
D16Y7 Intake/Vacuum Leak (PLEASE HELP!)

The vehicle is a 98 civic lx, stock, with the d16y7 engine, 209,000 miles. Parts I replaced were not just for fun but were diagnosed as a faulty part. When I bought the car it had bad idle issues. Pulled and cleaned the throttle body, new tb gasket, new iacv, new iat sensor, both o2 sensors, new Honda oem breather hoses and iacv hoses, and I pulled off the intake tubing (useless), air box and filter are still there of course, new thermostat, also drained and blead coolant, new filter, plugs battery alternator grounds, overflow hoses, and mostly all the vacuum hoses. Recent oil change as well.

The issue I'm having now is this. I can start up the car cold, drive it for about 10 minutes and have absolutely no problem. Once it seems to start getting really warm or if I drive it, turn it off for gas or something and turn it back on.. it starts like bogging... BAD. chugging bogging almost like a slipping really really bad. I have to feather the pedal and even still risks stalling sometimes. Engine and tranny are still in great condition though. The problem is that once it gets warm it loses pressure in the manifold and doesn't suck in air even close to as much as it does right off the bat cold. This tells me I still have some sort of vaccum leak?? Or the gasket on the intake manifold is going bad??

Finally codes popped up the other day driving it to work telling me lean fuel trim bank 1 bank 2 and long term fuel trim bank 2. It happens rather suddenly when I'm driving it and is much worse taking off at stop signs.

Otherwise I was thinking maybe fuel pressure regulator and new fuel filter? I've ran plenty of Lucas so I'm pretty confident it's not a plugged injector or cat but at this point ots killing me. Oh and it has a tiny tiny tiny coolant leak underneath the distributor somewhere, can't pinpoint where possibly coolant temp sensor? Runs right over the bell housing shift solenoid though.. maybe I should clean and test, and change tranny fluid? I can't for the life of me seem to figure out the egr or pcv system in this car either. I was told the p2e didn't have a egr but there's something that looks quite similar to such. Might try map or tps sensor or sit down with a multimeter and test them. I have plenty of pictures as well, no luck with starting fluid spray. To any of those that read the first post I fixed the battery light! Any advice would be much appreciated thanks!

Last edited by TonyThePartsGuy; 05-27-2016 at 12:43 AM. Reason: Fixed original issue.
Old 05-24-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: D16Y7 electrical NIGHTMARE help please anyone

Name:  unable-to-process-wall-of-text.jpg
Views: 2084
Size:  14.4 KB
Old 08-24-2019
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TonyThePartsGuy is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: D16Y7 Intake/Vacuum Leak (PLEASE HELP!)

Update: issue was a leaking heater hose, would suck in air and throw off idle.