Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Do you use a new crush washer with every oil change?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2016
prr
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
prr is an unknown quantity at this point
Do you use a new crush washer with every oil change?

For those of you who do your own oil changes (I have a 98 Civic and am getting ready to change it for the first time), do you replace the crush washer? I was reading here (http://m.owners.honda.com/faqs/motor-oil) and it said to do this. If you click on the "What is a crush washer" link you will see the statement I am referring to.
Old 05-20-2016
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Stock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Do you use a new crush washer with every oil change?

I do... do you have to? nope. It's like $1 at most so why not?
Old 05-20-2016
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

I try to. Every now and again, I'll do an oil change, only to discover I don't have a replacement washer. In that case, I'll "resurface" the copper washer I have on there with a piece of sandpaper laid flat on the concrete and reuse it (reused at most once if I do that). Haven't had any issues with that method yet.
Old 05-20-2016
prr
Registered!!

Is there another name they go by? Pepboys didn't have any that fit my car.
Old 05-20-2016
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Get them from a local dealer or order online.
Old 05-20-2016
prr
Registered!!

I'm searching for "crush washer," and I keep coming up with "drain plug gasket" in my search results. Is that another name for "crush washer"?
Old 05-20-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by prr
I'm searching for "crush washer," and I keep coming up with "drain plug gasket" in my search results. Is that another name for "crush washer"?
Yes. Should make perfect sense if you think about it.

Most aftermarket parts stores should have a large selection of various drainplug washers (probably all in one plastic tray), you poke through until you find one that fits your needs.
Ours are a soft aluminum washer, for a plug with 14mm thread.

I use a new washer on all customer cars, unless there's a reason not to: Some with damaged threads (in the pan) end up getting a rubber coated washer or washer with embedded rubber O ring, so it can seal well at a low torque value, so I don't have to tighten so tight and further damage or strip completely the already weakened/damaged threads.
I've put the rubber types on all my personal and family cars.
Old 05-21-2016
Registered!!

old97civic is an unknown quantity at this point

Follow up question... mostly related.

Anyone consider changing out the drain plug for a drain valve? I remember some years ago all the automotive forums had tons of threads (no pun intended) about these. Seemed like a good idea, but to me I figured it wouldn't make much difference for the Civic, since you still get some mess to clean up with the filter removal. On the Subaru, the filter screwed in from the bottom of the block, so it was intrinsically clean. Still, I was never convinced the valve would stand up to the salt and brine here, and also I was too cheap to pay $20-30 for the thing.
Old 05-21-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by old97civic
Follow up question... mostly related.

Anyone consider changing out the drain plug for a drain valve? I remember some years ago all the automotive forums had tons of threads (no pun intended) about these. Seemed like a good idea, but to me I figured it wouldn't make much difference for the Civic, since you still get some mess to clean up with the filter removal. On the Subaru, the filter screwed in from the bottom of the block, so it was intrinsically clean. Still, I was never convinced the valve would stand up to the salt and brine here, and also I was too cheap to pay $20-30 for the thing.
I've seen several before, but personally I would not put one on my car(s). JMO.
Old 05-21-2016
prr
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Yes. Should make perfect sense if you think about it.

Most aftermarket parts stores should have a large selection of various drainplug washers (probably all in one plastic tray), you poke through until you find one that fits your needs.
Ours are a soft aluminum washer, for a plug with 14mm thread.

I use a new washer on all customer cars, unless there's a reason not to: Some with damaged threads (in the pan) end up getting a rubber coated washer or washer with embedded rubber O ring, so it can seal well at a low torque value, so I don't have to tighten so tight and further damage or strip completely the already weakened/damaged threads.
I've put the rubber types on all my personal and family cars.
Very helpful information. If I run into problems, I'll use a rubber coated.

Yes, Pepboys had a 14mm unit that it said matched my Civic.