Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Late '98 1.6 Fuel Pump sound

Old 01-19-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Derdiedas is an unknown quantity at this point
Late '98 1.6 Fuel Pump sound

Went out to start my 98 Civic hatch late 1.6 DX model, and got a crank no start. I turn the key to the ON position, the engine check light goes on then off, and then the main relay clicks like its supposed to. But the troubleshooting guides say to listen for the "fuel pump whir" for a few seconds. Exactly how loud is it supposed to "whir"? I hear something, but it is very soft sound. Other fuel pumps I've heard are pretty loud and clear. My son drives the car so I'm not used to what sounds it makes. Also does this model have a fuel pressure schrader valve on the rail?
Thanks.
Old 01-20-2014
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: Late '98 1.6 Fuel Pump sound

Might be easier to hear if you sit in the back seat while someone turns the key. Every honda I have owned you could hear the fuel pump from the driver seat very clearly.

Also buckle the seat belt so that you don't hear the chime when you start the car, makes it easier to hear.
Old 01-20-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

They are pretty damn quiet -- compared to many GM products.
Old 01-20-2014
Registered!!

Derdiedas is an unknown quantity at this point

Well now I'm stumped. I have spark at the plugs and fuel sprays out of the top of the fuel filter for 2 seconds (with the top nut loosened) when the key is turned to the ON position. So, I've got spark and I've got fuel pressure. The crank-no start happened one cold morning...the nite before it started and ran fine. Any ideas guys?
Old 01-21-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Derdiedas
the nite before it started and ran fine.?
How long did it run?
How far did it get driven?
How cold is it?

Have you pulled a spark plug out to see if it is wet?

Name:  94RpPBR.gif
Views: 28
Size:  4.95 MB
Old 02-22-2014
Registered!!

tulsabanshee is an unknown quantity at this point

mine is doing the exact same thing. If you get an answer, please let me know also. thanx.