Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

97 ex overheating, radiator crack

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
weasel_18 is an unknown quantity at this point
97 ex overheating, radiator crack

my 97 is overheating pretty quickly. Last night it was smoking white smoke & overheating and heater wasn't working i made it home in time hopefully... today i took a look at it and i found out it was pretty low on oil. i added some oil but its still overheating after 5 min or so of driving, the radiator fan won't turn on even after driving it, but i was able to power it with a 9 volt to make sure it was working. I was looking around in the engine to add some coolant and noticed it leaked out (see pics) and some how the plastic cracked.i would think the fan should still come on either way.

so where can i buy the radiator part where its broken and leaking, i.e. the plastic tubing thing where the radiator cap is connected to

Name:  h4ETzIO.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  827.2 KB
Name:  urv09gi.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  498.8 KB

Last edited by weasel_18; 11-12-2013 at 08:21 PM. Reason: added details
Old 11-12-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 97 ex overheating, radiator crack

The fan switch can't turn the fan on if there is no liquid left in the cooling system.

Evaluate thoroughly and figure what the total damages and cost will be before you decide what your next step will be.

------------

You need a radiator, it's a complete unit. Guess around $120 for a radiator.

Maybe hoses and such too, the rubber gets internally damaged from overheating (you can feel the interior of the hoses crackle as you squeeze them, the top radiator hose will be the worst).

You might have severe engine damage due to overheating and loss of coolant. The likelihood is great, and it isn't cheap. Breached head gasket and warped head might be expected after a severe overheating event.

You need to make certain the radiator fan switch (temperature sensor) is capable of turning the fan on, and that the fan does run when the switch tells it to run.

Figure out what the root cause of all this damage was and correct that so this doesn't happen all over again.

HTH
Old 11-12-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 97 ex overheating, radiator crack

Also in the pics, it sorta looks like the radiator might have been rubbing on the cable or metal structure in the pic? It it was, that might be a possible cause of failure.