Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

98 honda civic kill while driving low oil/revs won't start

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Corey17 is an unknown quantity at this point
98 honda civic kill while driving low oil/revs won't start

Here we go, fun times. I had been driving my car the last few days with the oil light flickering. I was going to put some in there waited to long. I was driving going about 30mph when the car basically shut off. No loud nothing as if the power went. I checked the dip stick and there was oil at the very bottom tip. open the oil cap and a little smoke comes out not much. looks dry. I try starting with oil in it and it revved like normal but nothing. We tried a new fuel relay and that didn't help either. We started running some other tests checking the fuses and they seem to be all just fine. Next we checked the spark plugs for spark and didn't see anything. We believe the belt wasn't turning. Any help or suggestions would be very greatful. Is it worth fixing is the engine seized. Thank you.
Old 08-19-2013
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
Poopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of light
Re: 98 honda civic kill while driving low oil/revs won't start

Sounds like a seizure. There are a lot of things that could have gone so very, very wrong if that happened. You can price out an engine swap (maybe get a better engine!) if the rest of the car is ok but it might be more cost-effective to look at a new one. Depends on how much you like your current ride.
http://www.cars.com/go/advice/Story....anic-diagnosis
Chalk it up to a learning experience and move forward :-/
Old 08-30-2013
Registered!!

rocknrollthis is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a 99 civic ex with the same issue. Happened to my wife yesterday. She was driving and it died on her. I trailered it home. Low on oil but not completely out. Pulled the valve cover and timing belt is ok and valves all look good. No obvious fuel leaks and sounds like fuel pump is kicking on. Engine cranks all day but won't turn over. Gonna try starter fluid tonight. Maybe a spark issue?
Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Old 08-31-2013
Registered!!

rocknrollthis is an unknown quantity at this point

My problem ended up being distributor rotor. I went ahead and did the distributor cap as well as plugs and plug wires. It was time for all those things
Old 09-03-2013
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
Poopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by rocknrollthis
My problem ended up being distributor rotor. I went ahead and did the distributor cap as well as plugs and plug wires. It was time for all those things
I'm glad to hear it was a simple fix! :-)