Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2000 Honda Civic Ex Sputtering, Jerking,Randon RPM Increase

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hlmeans is an unknown quantity at this point
2000 Honda Civic Ex Sputtering, Jerking,Randon RPM Increase

2000 Honda Civic EX, 178k miles, Rebuilt transmission 10 months ago, approx 10k miles ago. I had the transmission rebuilt because the car was slamming hard during shifts, turns out that was due to motor/transmission mounts, not the transmission, but I didn't find this out till after the rebuild happened. Anyway, here is my list of problems, they may be all related or seperate mini problems, at this point, I do not know.

1) When driving the car will randoms increase RPMS, approx 100-500 rpms, but speed doesn't increase. This happens on flat roads, with the cruise control set and without the cruise set. (Started approx 1 week ago)

2) While accelerating slowly the car jerks and sputters, but wont die, if I accelerate rapidly, this doesn't happen. (Started approx 1 week ago)

3) I have an oil leak. its on the side of the engine block above the transmission , there are two sensors, do not know what the two sensors are, but the one further back, closer to the fire wall with a black wire coming out of it is where the leak is coming from. (Going on a year, I just located the leak today though, as I fix one leak it seems I find another)

4) The CEL is not coming on, though it has in the past, I pulled one code of off it, for the Linear Solenoid. It gave this code before the rebuild and after the rebuild. It was replaced with a brand new one. Before and after the rebuild, the D light would flash on occassion, it hasn't done this in 8 months though. That usually occured when I had the cruise set and I would brake, thus taking it off cruise and the D flashing.

I have replaced the following:
Spark plugs
All motor/transmission mounts except the rear mount(still slams the engine when shifting hard or when I go from P to D)
Transmission and Engine Grounds(Due to dash and headlights pulsing)
VTEC Solenoid gasket
TPS

With the exception of the Grounds and spark plugs being changed two weeks ago, everything else was changed 2 months ago.