Engine Post your engine related problems in this section. Engines will cover from Fuel, Engine, Cooling, Exhaust physical related items.

Drain plug leaking after oil change

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brandon04GT is an unknown quantity at this point
Drain plug leaking after oil change

So I just bought a 98 civic LX sedan with 126k miles on it. Before I bought the car, I had a quick look under and noticed that the oil pan was lined in oil. The seller stated that at his last oil change, they just forgot to put in a new drain plug washer which is what initially caused a leak. Apparently they put in a new washer and just didn't wipe off the pan.

I performed an oil change yesterday and when I removed the drain plug, I noticed that the washer was nylon. When I was at the store I asked for a new washer for a 98 civic LX and they gave me a 3-pack of flat copper washers. I used them yesterday and today I looked under the car and noticed that oil is slowly seeping through the drain plug.

I guess the drain plug and/or washer is not sealing properly. Is there a better washer to use?

Thanks,
Brandon
Old 10-13-2011
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: Drain plug leaking after oil change

Sounds like it's not sealing properly. Maybe go to the dealer and see what a factory one looks like for that year. Mine is metal type and it works. The threads may have been cross threaded in which case you need a new oil pan.
Old 10-13-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

just continue using the nylon washers. they seal much better than metal and should not fail. its an easy fix instead of replacing the pan. on some cars, even if the pan is good the metal ones just dont seal properly. i noticed on my civic sometimes i get a bit of seepage sneaking out from the metal washer.
Old 08-27-2019
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Tracecross30 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm having the same issue with my 7th generation civic ex.i bought washers from the dealer and i still see seeping . i bought new plug and it still coming out. I will try the rubber lookking wash i got from advanced auto tgat i got with plug that they gave me and see if it will help.