Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

1997 Civic auto transmission trouble

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cameron99 is an unknown quantity at this point
1997 Civic auto transmission trouble

Hello i am new to this site and was wondering if someone could help me figure out whats wrong w/ my tranny. For the past 2 months my transmission has been not shifting very well. Once the car gets warmed up and you are at a stop you either have to drive slow for the car to get into gear (below 2000 rpms) or rev it high and then it will feel like it shifted. I also forgot to mention when it does this the spedometer will not read, but once it gets into gear then it will. Also today while driving on the highway the car seemed like it was in the wrong gear. Normally when I drive 70 mph the car will be around 3100 rpm but today it was close to 5000.

I took my car to get the codes read and the codes were P0700 and P0715.

Can someone please tell me whats wrong. I was thinking that it was the transmission control solenoid or the trans speed sensor but thats just a guess
Old 05-19-2011
Registered!!

Matteo80 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 1997 Civic auto transmission trouble

I've got transmission problems too P0700 & P0730, I cleared the codes and they haven't come back yet.
From my research basically if you use anything other than Honda tranny fluid you will cause problems, there also may be issues with the solenoids getting clogged, may need need to replace linear shift solenoid (google that to double check).

Otherwise your transmission is likely hosed and you will need a new one.
Sorry I can't be more help I haven't resolved my own issue yet. First off try replacing fluid, you need to replace it (don't flush just drain) with genuine honda fluid. Drive 100 miles do the same, you need to do that 3 times. However and here is the caveat that has made me pause doing this myself. If you haven't looked after the transmission in a high mileage car replacing the fluid can actually hasten its demise, so it is a risk. If you've been replacing it on time then go ahead, but see if it drives worse after the first drain and fill, if so don't bother doing it again.
Old 05-19-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Matteo80 - show how searching/reading and then replying with your own words help so much for you to retain the info more than asking good going :thumbs:
Old 05-25-2014
Registered!!

snationvi is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey i have a 97 civic dx and I think my tranny may be going as well but need help seeing if it the transmission or something else the car starts and drives well but after some time if stopped at a red light when I press the gas it does nothing doesnt move until I turn the car off wait and start it back up again had any one had this issue before if so please help