Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Radiator leaking but what's the cause?

Old 03-19-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
biederboat is an unknown quantity at this point
Radiator leaking but what's the cause?

Daughter's 98 EX is leaking at the top of the radiator, along the crimped seam. Takes a while for it to do this and the car is not overheating (50 degree day) but the radiator fan would not kick on even when parked for a while (temp gauge stayed level). I ran power directly to the fan and it works. The radiator started leaking when the pressure built up in the upper hose (but you couldn't really notice it on the temp gauge). I'm wondering if it's caused by the fan not turning on by the temp switch. It would seem to me that the thermostat is working okay since it's not overheating but is the fan not kicking on soon enough allowing it to just get hot enough to cause the leaking.

Is there any past experience to say support this? What do I have to do to kick the fan on (make sure it works)? Obviously, I'm trying to avoid buying a radiator if that's not the problem.

Thanks,
Biederboat
Old 03-19-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Radiator leaking but what's the cause?

i have a 2002 civic and the fan will never come on unless its 70F+ outside in summer weather with the car already warmed up and sitting still.
Old 03-19-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

The thermostat may not be functioning properly and causing the fan to not turn on, testing that would be the first thing I do..

Last edited by MindBomber; 03-19-2011 at 06:47 PM.
Old 03-19-2011
Registered!!

Okay, I'll pull the temp switch and thermostat and test them. I'm assuming that the ONLY thing that will turn the fan on is the temp switch?

So here's the bottom line, with these "crimped" on radiators, if they were subject to a bit of over-pressure (from a thermostat or fan not kicking on) to the point where they leaked a bit, can they still be okay or are they pretty much toast?

Biederboat
Old 03-19-2011
Registered!!

Looks like thermostat opened at 190, maybe a bit higher, temp switch closer to 210 or so.

Biedeboat
Old 03-19-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,437 Likes on 1,193 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

change recommended parts and test. if no more issues, drive. worry about the radiator later - if it still leaks even after system is colling, need to change. if not, maybe it could last.