06 EX Hose & Trans Filter Replacements

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2016
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
06 EX Mild Mods has a spectacular aura about06 EX Mild Mods has a spectacular aura about06 EX Mild Mods has a spectacular aura about
06 EX Hose & Trans Filter Replacements

Since my 06 EX is now 10 years old and I plan on keeping it for 5 - 7 years more it was time to replace the radiator and heater core hoses. To replace the heater core hoses exposes the transmission filter, so this is a good time to replace that as well. Here are pics and captions for this project:

This job requires that the car is jacked up high to provide adequate access to the fire wall area where the heat core hoses are. These are the basic jacks that allow you to get up under the car to jack it up high at the point detailed in the 2nd photo.

The floor jack contact point is in the heavy metal structure between the anti sway bar and the motor mount.

This is how high the car is jacked up on both sides with blocks behind each wheel, floor jack is just touching underside as this isn't a good jacking point, but servers as a backup safety jack. Emergency brake well set of course.

This is a top down view of the splash panel opening to the radiator petcock to access to drain the radiator, remove the cap to the radiator to speed up the radiator fluid removal.

Used this large pan to catch the radiator fluid for reuse, this was changed last year when my tensioner failed (reference my post on that if interested) and I replaced the water pump while in this area of the engine. Filtered the fluid as it was poured back in and made up any amount short with Honda radiator fluid.

The bottom center of the picture are the heater core hoses to be replaced, it was hard to get the camera close enough for this shot so I knew this wasn't going to be fun.

Here's where the heater core hoses enter the engine block, located under the air box.

Progress, heater core hoses removed, heater core inlet tubes visible on firewall. I had to remove the throttlebody hose as well to gain access to the heater core hose connections, throttlebody is covered with a Dr. style plastic glove to keep it clean while we worked on it.

Heater core hoses removed from engine block, providing good access to the transmission filter located beneath the plastic hose clamps. Changed the filter after all the hassle of gaining desired access to the heater core hoses, this was the ideal time to replace it as well.

Star tool for the job was needle nose vice grips used to removal and reinstall the hose clamps. Lessons learned buy stainless steel hose clamps to replace the stock ones they are much, much easier to access using a 1/4" drive, universals and extensions than having access space with the needle nose vice grips. Disconnect hoses from trans filter before losening it's securing bracket.

Project Costs:
$53.25 Top and Bottom Radiator Hoses; Inlet and Outlet Heater Core Hoses via Amazon
$29.64 Transmission Filter from Honda
$8.44 3 Push Pins removed on under radiator splash panel from Honda
__________________________________________________ ____________
$91.33 Total Project Cost

So today (02/19/16) I called 2 local Honda Dealerships to get an estimate of having this work done there, here are the details:

$860.59 Radiator and Heater Core Hose Replacement
$117.97 Transmission Service

$870.87 SAVINGS by doing it myself, with help from my brother.

The Transmission Service quoted was just to drain and replace the fluid, not changing the transmission filter. Both so called "Advisors" told me the filter was internal and they didn't offer this service. Yet the Parts Guy knew exactly what I wanted and quickly got the external transmission filter which I replaced.

Last edited by 06 EX Mild Mods; 02-19-2016 at 06:58 PM.