Coolant Flush: Cannot find engine block drain plug

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
crypticlineage is an unknown quantity at this point
Coolant Flush: Cannot find engine block drain plug

I cannot find the block coolant drain plug anywhere around the oil filter area. I found an excellent DIY on these forums which showed the drain plug as a 17mm bolt to the right of the oil filter. I see no such thing around the oil filter. So where is it? I also tried looking around this general area without any luck.

I must drain coolant from block because the previous owner put green prestone coolant in it. I am refilling with Honda Type 2, which means I must flush the entire system with distilled water first and then empty it completely before filling in the 50/50 premix.

Please do not tell me to drain and refill the radiator, because in that case, you obviously have no idea what you or I are talking about. Thanks.

Edit: I found a heater core installation guide for Honda Accord (not my vehicle) online, which showed the bolt location in the engine bay. So I went ahead and looked there. Surely, there seems to be a bolt with a large rubber washer behind it. See the picture below. Could this be the drain plug for the block?

Last edited by crypticlineage; 08-25-2012 at 02:58 PM.
Old 08-26-2012
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coolant Flush: Cannot find engine block drain plug

its possible. alth so little coolant is in the block that you could just do several drain/fills to remove the old fluid (by driving between each drain and fill ofcourse to mix).
Old 10-19-2012
Registered!!

Sherlock is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Re: Coolant Flush: Cannot find engine block drain plug

Alright so you want to fluish the engine and radiator of all coolent> Well high speed,
1 dont be a dick.
2 What the hell kind of vehicle do you have?
3 I know its a stretch but have you looked in the haynes manual?
4 dont be a dick.
5 after people know what engine you have maybe we can help out with your question
Old 08-10-2014
Registered!!

RangeRider is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Coolant Flush: Cannot find engine block drain plug

The engine block coolant drain bolt is located on the front of the engine facing the radiator just below and to the left of the EGR valve as you are facing the engine leaning over the radiator. It is also to the left of the thermostat if that helps. It is a big bolt (28mm). The 2006-2010 Honda Service manual coolant replacement instructions(p. 10-7 thru 10-8 Vol. 1 by Helms Publications) require opening this bolt and draining the block as well as the normal radiator drain and reservoir drain. I didn't know this on my first coolant change and was only able to get a little less than 1 gal of coolant out when the manual states that you should be able to get 1.4 gal drained (1.77 gal engine rebuild). I have not seen anyone post this as part of the procedure in this forum so I plan on doing a post soon with shop manual excerpts showing the correct procedure. It is certainly worth doing this to get another 1/2 gal of old coolant out of the motor. You can get the two volume (it's big!) service manual which is put out by Honda through Helms Publications for $50. It is worth it if you plan on doing a lot of your own maintenance. I saw a coolant change thread by Gunner but it does not include this information. I will do one in the next week or so with pictures and manual excerpts. Wait for it!
Sherlock, you may be the dick?