I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Sound Deadening DIY

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2004
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ocelaris is an unknown quantity at this point
High density fiberous materials are the best high frequency noise blocker. The problem with the fiberglass stuff is that it's very light... they make compressed fiberglass, but it's rigid and expensive.

The foam mixed carpet padding will work, but not nearly as well as the fiberous stuff... the open cell foam is what they use in expensive acoustical treatments that are bonded with some sort of vinyl or asphaultic sheeting... like popcornplaya mentioned, combined with an asphault sheet, it's very helpful. You want to avoid hard foams though, those will transmit noise like a speaker, i.e. the foam filler spray cans are a no no. Loose materials = better.

Do this, hold part of the carpet padding, whether it's foam or fabric and talk or yell into it... or just hold it near your ear and see which one sounds more "lively" i.e. which one sounds more dead... the foam I think will block some noise, but probably you'll hear more coming off of it than the fabric. With the compressed fiberglass sheets I'm used to using in home theatres, if you're ear is within a foot of the sheet, that ear sounds deaf, like almost no sound is being reflected from it at all... that should be what you judge a material, literally the sounds in home depot/lowes etc... all thos high pitched noises, when you hold your ear up to it, which one makes them go away the best... I've wrapped my head in the jute before and walked around the store to prove it to somebody once... if you can make associations about the properties of materials, you'll have a very good head start when you decide where to put the materials in your car.
Old 11-08-2004
Registered!!

Bires is an unknown quantity at this point
Last week I bought a whole roll of "bergeresque" (fibrous HD felt carpet pad)from home depot for $60. I used about 1/3 of it in my 02 coupe. (Moderate improvement, pitch of road noise dropped considerably) (pics when I get my uploader fixed)

Anyway, if anyone is in the Las Vegas area and wants some (a lot left) pm me, and let me know how much you want(free).

Lastly, one thing to remember when using this stuff: it will dull your scissors-use a utility knife with some extra blades. I went thought two XActo blades in about 12-13 cuts.
Old 11-08-2004
Registered!!

duyaknow is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Bires
Last week I bought a whole roll of "bergeresque" (fibrous HD felt carpet pad)from home depot for $60. I used about 1/3 of it in my 02 coupe. (Moderate improvement, pitch of road noise dropped considerably) (pics when I get my uploader fixed)

Anyway, if anyone is in the Las Vegas area and wants some (a lot left) pm me, and let me know how much you want(free).

Lastly, one thing to remember when using this stuff: it will dull your scissors-use a utility knife with some extra blades. I went thought two XActo blades in about 12-13 cuts.
That's the same stuff I saw at Home Depot. Damn, $60. Couldn't you buy a smaller roll? I was still planning to buy some Ice and Water Guard...haha. I'm ghetto like that, since tar is tar from what you guy say.

Hey, there was like 3 different type of of carpet padding. Did you get the ultra? I guess if I divide up your stuff, $20 isn't bad. But I was hoping for better than moderate improvement.

Damn, I'm pissed because my dad's house just changed his carpetting to marble. I was thinking about taking the carpet padding, but saw alot of foam and thought, hell! This can't be jute because I thought it needed to be made of all fiberous stuff. Oh well, I think I might just do asphalt stuff.
Old 01-06-2005
Registered!!

ty.barrack is an unknown quantity at this point
Not so much for sound, but I bought a 69 VW Bug about two years abo, dumped wads of cash into it so far. I had the problem of no carpet and no insulation on the floor boards, there was a lot of noise in the car just from driving normal freeway speeds. I got some tar roofing material from my brother a roofer, and layed two laters of that on the floor, then bought an aftermarket carpet kit for the vw now the car has no interior noise sounds like a mercedes inside. cost nothing for the sound deadening.
Old 01-31-2005
Registered!!

whadam is an unknown quantity at this point
About this "jute" stuff...

What is the best way to apply it to the floor of your vehicle?
Would you recommend an adhesive? Or do you just let it sit there and hope it doesn't move around?
How heavy is it?

Last edited by whadam; 01-31-2005 at 11:21 AM.
Old 01-31-2005
Registered!!

One more question...is "jute" vulnerable to moisture?

nm...read the other parts of the thread...

Last edited by whadam; 01-31-2005 at 11:21 AM.
Old 01-31-2005
Registered!!

"Jute" is very light, like a blanket sort of...

I used the 3M adhesive spray and that held it very well, though in the floor I didn't use any, though now that I think about it, it might be a good idea. The 3M adhesive spray is with the paint stuff at home depot/lowes etc... comes in a big aerosol can, spray both sides, wait a bit for it to become tacky, stuff holds any and all fabrics great.

Jute like any good sound absorber has lots of air pockets which will encourage the growth of bacteria. Bacteria like plant roots love a moist but oxygenated substrate (surface to breed on). Actually the fiberglass I was referring to, which is made of sand/silicate; in Europe they use alot of Rockwool which is just basalt/granite based fiberglass... And if you know what rockwool is, it's the ideal hydroponic medium which grows plants in most major hydroponic Gardens which provide vegetables for us. So Jute, like Fiberglass and Rockwool inherently have great bacteria growing potential; but in themselves they're not going to melt or anything.

Just treat it like carpet, you wouldn't stick carpet in the engine bay or anywhere else that might get wet, jute is the same way. It's not going to mold if you have it insulated, that's why I like the cheap asphault sheeting to isolate moisture from outside the car door panels.

I was at Lowes this weekend, and noticed they didn't have any of the fabric type of carpet padding that I have found to work well... at some point I supposed they may give up on the nylon threaded carpet padding, it does pretty much suck for carpet padding, but does well for our purposes.

Last edited by Ocelaris; 01-31-2005 at 07:27 PM.
Old 02-02-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Ocelaris

By composite foam, what exactly do you mean? The couple of materials I have discovered in my search have been a sandwhich of vinyl and open celled foam, which serves the same purpose as jute. There certainly are better materials than jute, when I worked for a home theatre installation company they had these compressed fiberglass panels that absolutely ate up sound, unfortunately compressed fiberglass is not maleable, and the regular fiberglass for insulation is too big (though it works just as well). And your right, jute is probably 3/8" thick, though if you have problems fitting panels back after adding 3/8" to your floors, that's not my problem, mine worked fine, panels fit back perfect.

What about a styrofoam-like material...you know...egg crates? Thanks.
Old 02-02-2005
Registered!!

soft materials aren't dense enoguh to really stop much noise...

The Jute is a hard nylon, but compressed/sewn or whatever... Something like neoprene (open celled) foam would work, but it's expensive and hard to come by.

In the home audio world we use fiberglass, a very hard material, it's just sintered glass, and the denser the better. So a light foam wouldn't hurt, but it would not be as good a material as jute or open celled real rubber like from trees rubber, not a plastic. But you have to be real careful, as some will actually transmit/amplify the sound... best to stick with jute or a dense fiberous material.

Now Hard foam like the spray expanding stuff will actually make it much worse, the closed cells, and the hardness of the foam when dry will very effectively transmit the sound right through the doors... so stay away from anything hard...

Basically, Soft good, hard bad...
Old 02-02-2005
Registered!!

pon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nice
Originally Posted by Ocelaris

Basically, Soft good, hard bad...
Dayum, thats what my wife says!
Old 02-13-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by pon55
Dayum, thats what my wife says!
That's not a good thing.

I got a roll of Raammat last week and began installing it yesterday.

All the DIYs for deadening doors says to remove the plastic liner. I wish I didn't. It did allow me to put the mat on the outer sheet metal of the door, but the plastic sheet was stuck to the door with this pastey grey crud, which would (in many cases) not come off. I just put the mats over it.

Weather intervened, and I had to stop working on the right door. Hopefully I'll get some more work done today. I also put carpet padding on the plastic door molding.

Next week, I'm pulling up my carpet and carpet padding (that I put down last fall) to:
1. look for mold growth (been a wet winter in Las Vegas)
2. add raamat under the carpet padding
Old 02-13-2005
Registered!!

how much was the raamat? for people who don't wanna goto a roofing store, It will be cheaper to buy raamat/fatmat etc... than to get the small home depot rolls...

Please let me know how putting the raamat under the floor helps if you can tell a difference. I didn't put any down there myself, but I am curious now if it would have made a difference. Thanks
Old 03-05-2005
Registered!!

kickercivic1 is an unknown quantity at this point
I am in real need of something to get rid of my rattle. I right now just have 2 kicker comp vr's, but tomorrow i am going to have 12W7. And i know that rattle is giong to be louder then the bass it self. I never heard of this "Jute". I want to know how many people use this stuff.?
Old 03-06-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by kickercivic1
I never heard of this "Jute". I want to know how many people use this stuff.?
I don't know why ppl keep calling it jute. That's wrong. jute is a plastic grid-like substrate with carpet glued on. (informed by a carpet store owner) The stuff you want it fibrous carpet padding. If you look at your particle-board truck board, it's the stuff that it glued to it.

If you live in SoCal, NoArizona, SoUtah, or Nevada, you're welcome to drive down and take the 1/2 roll I have left, or buy a full roll at Home Depot for $60. (It's cheaper than a carpet store)

As far as using Raammat on the floors-yet it helps. The SD mats and the padding do different things. The mats kill vibration and make the car feel more dead (solid). The carpet padding muffles/keeps out road noise.
Old 03-06-2005
Registered!!

82801BA is an unknown quantity at this point
That's why I went to HD before and nobody knows what jute was.
Old 03-06-2005
Registered!!

pon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nice
I don't know why ppl keep calling it jute. That's wrong. jute is a plastic grid-like substrate with carpet glued on. (informed by a carpet store owner) The stuff you want it fibrous carpet padding. If you look at your particle-board truck board, it's the stuff that it glued to it.

If you live in SoCal, NoArizona, SoUtah, or Nevada, you're welcome to drive down and take the 1/2 roll I have left, or buy a full roll at Home Depot for $60. (It's cheaper than a carpet store)

As far as using Raammat on the floors-yet it helps. The SD mats and the padding do different things. The mats kill vibration and make the car feel more dead (solid). The carpet padding muffles/keeps out road noise.
Look in the dictionary! Jute is a Fiber!
Old 03-06-2005
Registered!!

O.K. ***,

Originally Posted by Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary
Main Entry: jute
Pronunciation: 'jüt
Function: noun
Etymology: Bengali jhuto
: the glossy fiber of either of two East Indian plants (Corchorus olitorius and C. capsularis) of the linden family used chiefly for sacking, burlap, and twine; also : a plant producing jute
I talked to the OWNER OF A CARPET STORE. When I asked him for jute, he showed a roll of 1/4" thick, very dense carpet glued on to a plastic mesh. When I showed him what was in our cars, he said what I wanted what fibrous carpet padding.
Old 03-06-2005
Registered!!

O.K. ***,
Half right! j/k I usta sell carpet!
Old 05-02-2005
Registered!!

On recommendation:

A price-thickness comparison of deadening mats
Old 05-02-2005
Registered!!

This is stock jute compared to what I put down:

Makes a great gasket sealant

I put some on my roof too, this is before:

Sticks great!
Old 05-04-2005
Registered!!

orion_squall is just really niceorion_squall is just really niceorion_squall is just really niceorion_squall is just really niceorion_squall is just really nice

how exactly do you call it if I want to buy at home depot and I want them to know what I am taling about.

Do I ask for "JUTE"?

thanks
Old 05-04-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by orion_squall
Do I ask for "JUTE"?
Only if you want to confuse them.

Ask for carpet padding. They should have a few different weights. You want fibrous, as dense as possible. A roll should cost about $60. Enough to do two cars completely. (I just threw half my roll away).
Old 05-05-2005
Registered!!

orion_squall is just really niceorion_squall is just really niceorion_squall is just really niceorion_squall is just really niceorion_squall is just really nice
hey OCELARIS,

did you GLUE the JUTE on the door??

How did you make them stay on?

thanks
Old 05-05-2005
Registered!!

yup, 3M adhesive spray, works great, spray both sides, wait till it gets tacky, then stick. Works great for cloth. You can get it in the glue isle in home depot/lowes etc...
Old 06-14-2005
Why is my vagina bleeding?

nindoo has a spectacular aura aboutnindoo has a spectacular aura about
I'm not a sound guy but I would still like to have a quieter civic. I have a few rattles, but I read that the sound deteaning materials will not elliminate that type of sound.

I want the interior engine noise to be quiter as well the road noise that comes from the rear near the fenders. Have any you used dynamat extrem under the hood?
Old 06-14-2005
Registered!!

Dynamat Extreme won't do anything for your engine noise, it works the same way as dynamat original...

Dynamat extreme = butyl based
Dynamat Original = Asphaultic based

Both work by lowering the resonance freqency, i.e. sub 100hz bass frequencies is all they are good for.

Jute, Fiberglass, other "fiberous" materials with air pockets work by dispersing the sound. Air makes a great insulator, anything that works well for climate control like fiberglass will be be ideal for a high frequency blocker.

Engine noise is because there isn't sufficient material between the engine and the cabin, Unless you are going to take the dash apart, it's very hard to reduce engine noise... Best bet is to eliminate the short ram or cold air intake if you have one and use the stock air box with a high quality filter and some routing of dryer hose...

The road noise is best eliminated by jute, and lots of it, as it's a high pitched frequency...

There isn't a simple or easy way to get rid of it unless you get to the raw chassis of the car and apply sound deadening/dampening. While you're in there if the panels are thin, put some sound deadening (asphault or butyl based material) on them and that will lower the rock pings etc... But mainly Jute or similar fiberous/airy material is what you need on those rear fenders.
Old 06-14-2005

Would Jute make a huge imapct if I placed in bwtween the door panles like you have done, in terms of road noise? Hmmm is there any other option avaiable in terms of using the ice guard to seal the doors. I'd like to avoid the smell at all cost.

I don't know how to remove the dash(seems like a lot of work) but the rear deck seems doable for me. Are there key areas I should cover to reduce the road noise from the rear. I saw some little felt pieces on the rear wheel wells.

Last edited by nindoo; 06-14-2005 at 11:28 AM.
Old 06-14-2005
i boogie for the raindrops

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LudlamTheory is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by nindoo
I don't know how to remove the dash(seems like a lot of work)
it is.... gotta take off the steering wheel and passenger airbag...
Old 06-14-2005

Originally Posted by LudlamTheory
it is.... gotta take off the steering wheel and passenger airbag...

I was trying to read the sticky DIY for dash removal but the pics aren't linked anymore. It would be easier if I could visualize it.

I found this material is it good?

http://edesignaudio.com/product.php?cid=9&pid=7&cur=USD

Last edited by nindoo; 06-14-2005 at 12:59 PM.
Old 06-14-2005
Registered!!

(sigh)

If you want to reduce your engine noise, you need this:
Cascade VB-TS

If you want to reduce noise bouncing off the road/tires, use deadening sheets on your sheet metal on your floor and wheel wells, then a layer or two of high-density carpet padding.

And for the last time...

JUTE (what you don't want):

Carpet padding (what you want):

Quick Reply: Sound Deadening DIY