I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Hifonics Apollo Amp...

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2003
Extreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ZSKCivic01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Hifonics Apollo Amp...

Hey everyone, I was looking at the specs ofr the Hifonics apollo son of boltar, since that is the one I want to get to power my JL Audio XR5650 component set, and I noticed that it says it has built in crossovers. Well, the XR components come with crossovers, and if what they are talking about is the same thing built into the amplifier, which crossover do I use, the built in amp crossovers, or the xr crossovers?
Old 03-08-2003
Registered!!

Cyko is an unknown quantity at this point
You use both. The crossover for the speakers sets the point at which the midbass stops and the tweeters start.
The one on the amp can be used to stop the components from picking up the lowbass frequencies that will cause
distortion.
Old 03-08-2003
Extreme Member

ZSKCivic01 is an unknown quantity at this point
im confused here, so for example, on one side of the car, the tweeter and mid wires(4 total wires) go to the component crossovers, and then from that crossover, two wires from that crossover connect to the amplifier. 4 Total wires that connect to the amplifier. Is that correct. On the apollo amplifiers, when I saw a picture, it looked like there were 8 plugs total for speaker wires.
Old 03-08-2003
Registered!!

WhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of light
you use 2 channels of the amplifier. each channel of outputs (of 2 channels) goes to the crossovers of the XR's. from there, the crossover goes to the tweeter and the midwoofer. dont have to worry about that crossover anymore.

then on the amplifier itself, you turn on the highpass filter and set it between 50 and 100, youll have to play around with that setting and the gain while listening to music, to see what really sounds best for your music.

the amplifier ensures your componnt set doesnt try to play 20 Hz or anything lik htat that it cant play, and the XR crossover ensures teh tweeter gets highs, and the midwoofer gets lows.