I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

wiring amp to fuse box instead of battery

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
srfdog88 is an unknown quantity at this point
wiring amp to fuse box instead of battery

I just got a new amp installed a couple of weeks ago. They wired the positive wire to the fuse box in the engine bay by conecting it to the left screw in the middle of the front of the fuse box. My other amp is wired to the positive terminal on the battery. Ever since then my idle has been a lot lower at times escpescially when i run my stereo for extended periods of time. My car has not died but it goes to baout 500 and then catches itself and then goes back to about 600-650. before thismy car used to idle ay around 700. Does wiring the positve wire to the fuse box make any sense and could it affect my idle. there is enough slack to wire it to the terminla but will that make a difference. i have never seen this done before. one last question, if I were to switch the wire to the terminal what battery conections do I have to disconect, and would it be better for me to buy i new terminal adapter with more outlets rtather than using the stock one becasue i would have 2 different amp woires going to it.
Old 12-03-2002
Turbo Guru

andyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond repute
I'd make it simple....run one wire from the battery and get a fuse distribution block.
Old 12-03-2002
Registered!!

tbone323 is an unknown quantity at this point
who did your instal, BEst Buy? LOL {sounds so}

Fuse Dist. blocks are nice, BUT becareful. If you run a live wire from your hood all the way to your trunk (where most ppl mount the dist block) and you somehow sever the wire at ANY point between the battery and the dist block, BYE-BYE battery, KA-BOOM!! It's recommended that you have a fuse with 18" of the battery, so you'll blow your fuse, not your battery. ANd get that **** outta the car's fuse box man, thats ridiculous!!

~Tbone
Old 12-03-2002
i boogie for the raindrops

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LudlamTheory is an unknown quantity at this point
honestly, it shouldnt matter, the alternator, the battery, and the fuse box are all wired to the same place anyways...
Old 12-03-2002
Registered!!

Litespeed is an unknown quantity at this point
Hmmm... it shouldn't affect your engine. Maybe it was a coincidence. You might wanna get your engine checked out if this is the case.
Old 12-04-2002
Turbo Guru

andyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond repute
[hr]Originally posted by: tbone323
If you run a live wire from your hood all the way to your trunk (where most ppl mount the dist block) and you somehow sever the wire at ANY point between the battery and the dist block, BYE-BYE battery, KA-BOOM!! It's recommended that you have a fuse with 18" of the battery, so you'll blow your fuse, not your battery. ~Tbone[hr]
Absolutely...no question about that (have to remember not everyone knows these little things.)
Old 12-04-2002
Registered!!

[hr]Originally posted by: LudlamTheory
honestly, it shouldnt matter, the alternator, the battery, and the fuse box are all wired to the same place anyways...[hr]
Nooooooo, this is why you see cars on the side of the road in flames!!! You are correct in saying that they all are connected to the same place BUT, I will GUARANTEE that your amplifier will draw WAAAAAAy more current that any of the wiures in your fuse box was designed to carry.

Why does the fire department carry al those huge hoses? Why don't they just use those small garden hoses everyone already has? See my point?

I think the late Chris Farley said it best..."Fat man, little coat!"

You put too many electrons thru a thin wire, that wire gets hot due to all of the friction between the moving electrons and the static molecules in the wire and in the BEST case, you don't get all of the performance that your amp is capable of. The WORST case, your car starts on fire!

don't be lazy, re-wire it OR, bettrer yet, take it back to the shop and bitch to the manager!!

~Tbone
Old 12-04-2002
Registered!!

srfdog88 is an unknown quantity at this point
thanks everyone, i didn't think it was right for the amp wire to start at the fuse box in under the hood. Yes there is a fuse 5 inches aftwer it is starts but the wire should start at the battery, i will fix it but do i disconnect the battery wires before a switch?
Old 12-04-2002
Registered!!

it's very good practice to disconnect the battery before working with ANY wires in your car that are responsible for power.

Old 12-18-2002
Registered!!

GooseEX is an unknown quantity at this point
Definately Disconnect before working with your power, don't leave room for for accidents.
Old 12-18-2002
Registered!!

FaintReality is an unknown quantity at this point
Disconnect the negative battery terminal, run the power wire from the amp directly to the positive battery terminal with an inline fuse as close as possible to the battery, then reconnect the negative battery terminal.
Old 01-28-2018
Registered!!

John Manus is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: wiring amp to fuse box instead of battery

Ok so some of these posts are true to a certain extent as a auto rebuilder i can tell you that most cars today have a jump start post on the fuse block the big red wire comes straight from the battery you can use this its not like you're amp is going to pull more than what the battery has to offer and as far as ground you can hook it to any bracket bolt that bolts to the engine as it is grounded out to the frame same as battery however if you're idle is changing its because you're altinator cant keep up its a honda not a peterbuilt you need a compassitor for this issue or a secound battery in the trunk which will require a altinator upgrade or you can just hook to battery and ride around like these idiots with the bass hitting and lighting dimming now that can cause a fire but the positive terminal on your fuse block is big enough to handle anything your amp needs remember auto is dc not ac things are different in the dc world
Old 01-28-2018
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: wiring amp to fuse box instead of battery

Wow this is an old thread!!!!